So sorry for late reply-had to resurrect two dead laptops.
Good news: after hours/several weeks of researching my disaster from android86 with grub,
I am now seeing the light of day I THINK. Please suggest my best next steps.
Please refer to my earlier post for background & thanks for sticking with this-it's been a long road.
Even tho I got messages "loading embr" then hit return and "no OS,do you want to install?"
It seems grub did mess up bootitbm or maybe it was the other products "successful" re-image don't know.
In desperation I booted the disabled laptop from a windows-2-go" win10Lite usb
All my partitions are there and I imaged all the latest data partitions to a 4TB W.D. external drive.
So I have my data back.
Attached image one shows the new disk management readout after I formatted the offending
android86/grub partition and installed the win2go windows10lite in its place.
My dual boot win8.1 and win7 partitions are still there and APPEAR undisturbed
as do all the data vols. The original bootitbm win8.1 boot partition is still marked active,
but the laptop now boots without the usb using the new c:\win10lite partition which replaced the androidx86/grub
The formerly working bootitbm EMBR is also there-8mb
I rerouted the comma key to replace the bad space key under
windows registry. So now I have a space key for shell commands.
HOWEVER the new win10lite does not have or see wifi network software-was
not offered during install, only ethernet. So no internet. Bootitbm menu is gone.
So looking like reinstalling bootitbm is the next step. I have no
reason to think the original install usb is not good.
I'd like to do the following. Can you kindly advise in simple steps
how I can accomplish this?:
1) reinstall bootitbm with the following changes:
2)fix the new winlite10 to see my wifi router OR install another win10 OS with wifi capability-
(hard to find one that doesn't require payment to Microsoft).
3) either use the prior working windows 7 (no usb support)
or install another win7 with usb support-if I can find one.
So triple boot under bootitbm: win8.1 winlite or win10 and win7
Later I will install some Linux distro if possible
Thanks for your support. If you can explain to me what happened,
that would be very educational. I'd like to get bootitbm back again.
It was very reliable and my mistake was not coming here first.
Unbootable Laptop Please Help.
-
heretolearn
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2026 7:38 am
Re: Unbootable Laptop Please Help.
- Attachments
-
- WIN2GO-CBOOT AND SYS PARTITIONS.PNG (206.66 KiB) Viewed 31225 times
-
heretolearn
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2026 7:38 am
Re: Unbootable Laptop Please Help. attachment not working
guess I'm not allowed to post with attachment? Tried both drag and paste AND file upload:
I get http error. Size of file is with the specified limit of 256kb
I get http error. Size of file is with the specified limit of 256kb
-
heretolearn
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2026 7:38 am
Re: Unbootable Laptop Please Help.
ok now it's showing but before incomplete. No replies. Anyone?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Unbootable Laptop Please Help.
BootIt doesn't control anything under Windows, as soon as you boot it is removed from memory. It can reconfigure the MBR order or in unlimited mode choose which partitions are there, plus hiding options.
So as far as reinstalling, you'd just reinstall - you may want to remove any existing BootIt partition first to let it create a new one. If you get a message that partitions overlap, you need to fix that first (could only happen in unlimited mode).
Setting up the boot items would be done as shown in the KB, manual and https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
So as far as reinstalling, you'd just reinstall - you may want to remove any existing BootIt partition first to let it create a new one. If you get a message that partitions overlap, you need to fix that first (could only happen in unlimited mode).
Setting up the boot items would be done as shown in the KB, manual and https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
-
heretolearn
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2026 7:38 am
Re: Unbootable Laptop Please Help.
I have been busy building a win10 partition which I installed from windows go go usb. This was installed from the win2go usb to the partition formerly occupied by the offending android/grub partition. So at least I have a working laptop with wifi now. Space key is gone, I had to reroute it under windows registry. this is an OLD laptop but it refuses to die completely.
Thank you for your reply TeraByte support. As far as I can determine there are now two active partitions on the drive. One used to dual boot under bootitbm menu to 8.1 with the option to boot win 7. The other is the new win10 partition I installed on the former offending android/grub partition which is now replaced by win10 bootable.
I am going to try to change the video settings under the the other products dos access to see if that clears up the video output.
I will do this using a program for making those changes under DOS. I have backed up my now working win10
partition in case this screws things up . I will wait for further replies from you before doing this.
I made two major mistakes with this: One, I stupidly allowed the android to install Grub thinking it was only an option and two I should have come here before trying to install android on another raw partition.
I will have to retry the Terabyte original install usb boot- I can't remember all the boot messages. And then I will reply here with that information to answer your question
It appears to me that the Grub pgm did something to the video settings to the original boot 8.1 c: partition. Either that or the other products rescue boot usb is not working correctly.
The laptop is trying to boot to the original working bootitbm boot menu but the video is so messed up you can't see/do anything with it.
Many thanks for staying with this.
Thank you for your reply TeraByte support. As far as I can determine there are now two active partitions on the drive. One used to dual boot under bootitbm menu to 8.1 with the option to boot win 7. The other is the new win10 partition I installed on the former offending android/grub partition which is now replaced by win10 bootable.
I am going to try to change the video settings under the the other products dos access to see if that clears up the video output.
I will do this using a program for making those changes under DOS. I have backed up my now working win10
partition in case this screws things up . I will wait for further replies from you before doing this.
I made two major mistakes with this: One, I stupidly allowed the android to install Grub thinking it was only an option and two I should have come here before trying to install android on another raw partition.
I will have to retry the Terabyte original install usb boot- I can't remember all the boot messages. And then I will reply here with that information to answer your question
It appears to me that the Grub pgm did something to the video settings to the original boot 8.1 c: partition. Either that or the other products rescue boot usb is not working correctly.
The laptop is trying to boot to the original working bootitbm boot menu but the video is so messed up you can't see/do anything with it.
Many thanks for staying with this.