If your Win11 and ESP are on HD1 use the first screenshots. The restored Win11 is on HD0.
If your Win11 and ESP are on HD0 use the second lot of screenshots. The restored Win11 is on HD1.
I couldn't let this go if I'd given you incorrect instructions.
Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
These screenshots apply to the page #10 method.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
For Boot Item...
Boot Edit, click Add,
Identity... Copy-Win11
Boot... EFI System Partition
Boot File... Browse, double click ..
double click Microsoft.xxx
double click Boot
scroll down to bootmgfw.efi
OK,
tick in Rename Directory
OK again
OK again
Boot Edit, click Add,
Identity... Copy-Win11
Boot... EFI System Partition
Boot File... Browse, double click ..
double click Microsoft.xxx
double click Boot
scroll down to bootmgfw.efi
OK,
tick in Rename Directory
OK again
OK again
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Nice, thank you kindly.
Tomorrow I’m adding another Samsung 860 Pro 512GB so psychologically I won’t have to worry about my SN8100. I know the TBW on these drives is high and will last ages, but I’ll feel much more comfortable and just keep working as long as it takes until it’s sorted. I don’t want to give up now, because from compiling all the info and screenshots you’ve shared, I feel it’s something on my end that I need to fix, and we’ll get to the bottom of it. I’ll start tomorrow and keep you posted. I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions, so unless you get tired
be prepared.
Thank you Brian.
Tomorrow I’m adding another Samsung 860 Pro 512GB so psychologically I won’t have to worry about my SN8100. I know the TBW on these drives is high and will last ages, but I’ll feel much more comfortable and just keep working as long as it takes until it’s sorted. I don’t want to give up now, because from compiling all the info and screenshots you’ve shared, I feel it’s something on my end that I need to fix, and we’ll get to the bottom of it. I’ll start tomorrow and keep you posted. I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions, so unless you get tired
Thank you Brian.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Friendly, I won't give up until we have this beaten. I know you feel the same.
Have you returned home?
Have you returned home?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I really want to make this work. If all goes as planned, I’ll be home tomorrow so won’t be doing much until then.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I haven't read the whole thread, but from what I gather the boot order is changed after booting Windows. Presuming so, The only time Windows should potentially change the boot order (and only temporarily) is if it's hibernated (such as when you shutdown with fast startup enabled). Ensure all Windows versions being booted have that disabled. Or even try disabling hibernation all together: powercfg -h off
It may also be system firmware itself changing the boot order when it shouldn't. Check for a firmware upgrade.
If the BIOS has an option to boot something generic like just the HD, choose that (the one with the EFI system partition).
You can use tbosdt for bootit from windows as administrator to look at things like:
list uefi bootitems /a /d
and
list uefi bootorder
and
list uefi bootnext (note will be blank unless something forcing boot next)
to see if anything is changing.
If hibernation disabled / not used and it appears something corrupted, 1 run memtest86+ to ensure memory ok, change out the cables on the drives with the problems (with a good quality one). Ensure not a RAID related issue as well, ensure configuration is JBOD and drivers for Windows up to date.
It may also be system firmware itself changing the boot order when it shouldn't. Check for a firmware upgrade.
If the BIOS has an option to boot something generic like just the HD, choose that (the one with the EFI system partition).
You can use tbosdt for bootit from windows as administrator to look at things like:
list uefi bootitems /a /d
and
list uefi bootorder
and
list uefi bootnext (note will be blank unless something forcing boot next)
to see if anything is changing.
If hibernation disabled / not used and it appears something corrupted, 1 run memtest86+ to ensure memory ok, change out the cables on the drives with the problems (with a good quality one). Ensure not a RAID related issue as well, ensure configuration is JBOD and drivers for Windows up to date.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Let me give a brief summary.
If the Win11 partition is copied (BIU copy) to Free Space on a large SSD the copy boots normally. No problems.
If a small SSD is used the Win11 partition has to be resized smaller so the copy can fit in the small SSD. A BIU copy is performed and the copy boots normally only 2 or 3 times. Then a repair is requested on each further attempt. Copied Win11 no longer successfully loads.
This happens on two computers.
Fast startup is disabled on both drives.
If the Win11 partition is copied (BIU copy) to Free Space on a large SSD the copy boots normally. No problems.
If a small SSD is used the Win11 partition has to be resized smaller so the copy can fit in the small SSD. A BIU copy is performed and the copy boots normally only 2 or 3 times. Then a repair is requested on each further attempt. Copied Win11 no longer successfully loads.
This happens on two computers.
Fast startup is disabled on both drives.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I mentioned copying Win11 to a large SSD causes no issues. But if Win11 on the main drive is resized, even by a small amount, the subsequent copy on the large SSD only boots normally 2 or 3 times.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I’m confident everything is as it should, but once I’m back home later today, I’ll review everything mentioned and make sure.TeraByte Support wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2026 7:04 am I haven't read the whole thread, but from what I gather the boot order is changed after booting Windows. Presuming so, The only time Windows should potentially change the boot order (and only temporarily) is if it's hibernated (such as when you shutdown with fast startup enabled). Ensure all Windows versions being booted have that disabled. Or even try disabling hibernation all together: powercfg -h off
It may also be system firmware itself changing the boot order when it shouldn't. Check for a firmware upgrade.
If the BIOS has an option to boot something generic like just the HD, choose that (the one with the EFI system partition).
You can use tbosdt for bootit from windows as administrator to look at things like:
list uefi bootitems /a /d
and
list uefi bootorder
and
list uefi bootnext (note will be blank unless something forcing boot next)
to see if anything is changing.
If hibernation disabled / not used and it appears something corrupted, 1 run memtest86+ to ensure memory ok, change out the cables on the drives with the problems (with a good quality one). Ensure not a RAID related issue as well, ensure configuration is JBOD and drivers for Windows up to date.
Thank you.