Friendly,
Do you still have the copied partition on 860. If so you could try fixboot.tbs.
Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I’ve tried everything, but nothing works. I followed all the instructions, yet it’s still the same. I’m taking a break for now, unless by some miracle someone discovers there’s an issue elsewhere
. I love Terabyte and use it very often, but BootIt just isn’t working well for me, it’s not meant to be, at least for now.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
@TeraByte Suppor
Ran "chkdsk" with no issues found on either drive.
Fast startup is disabled.
The system wasn’t using either drive for cache, when needed, it uses my RAM.
In BIU, “Rename Directory” was already enabled, but “Use Boot Item Disk IDs” was not, so I enabled it.
Both from the BIU desktop and the IFU icon on the desktop, there were no issues returning to the desktop, and as suggested, I repeated this at least five times.
Ran the fixboot.tbs script. Also, I haven’t hidden drives from each other.
Nothing helped. I’m at the end of my limits. I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys, and I tend to blame myself for possibly overlooking something, but with Brian’s help and your suggestions, nothing seems to make it work.
The only time it worked fine, except for not having the BootIt menu, so I had to use “BootIt directly”, when I restored image from SN8100, without using BootIt to resize the image so it fits onto 860 Pro but I used IFW options e.g. scale to fit, aligned change ID, and it functioned, just I wasn't able to make menu. There’s something that goes wrong after resizing and using copying. I’m done for now.
Thanks to Brian and TeraByte Support for your help. Brian spent two days assisting me, and I truly appreciate his effort. No time was lost, I gained valuable experience.
Ran "chkdsk" with no issues found on either drive.
Fast startup is disabled.
The system wasn’t using either drive for cache, when needed, it uses my RAM.
In BIU, “Rename Directory” was already enabled, but “Use Boot Item Disk IDs” was not, so I enabled it.
Both from the BIU desktop and the IFU icon on the desktop, there were no issues returning to the desktop, and as suggested, I repeated this at least five times.
Ran the fixboot.tbs script. Also, I haven’t hidden drives from each other.
Nothing helped. I’m at the end of my limits. I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys, and I tend to blame myself for possibly overlooking something, but with Brian’s help and your suggestions, nothing seems to make it work.
The only time it worked fine, except for not having the BootIt menu, so I had to use “BootIt directly”, when I restored image from SN8100, without using BootIt to resize the image so it fits onto 860 Pro but I used IFW options e.g. scale to fit, aligned change ID, and it functioned, just I wasn't able to make menu. There’s something that goes wrong after resizing and using copying. I’m done for now.
Thanks to Brian and TeraByte Support for your help. Brian spent two days assisting me, and I truly appreciate his effort. No time was lost, I gained valuable experience.
Last edited by Friendly on Fri Mar 20, 2026 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
When you get a chance I'd try this...
Delete the Win11 copy Boot Item. Delete the Win11 copy partition on the 860.
Restore the Win 11 partition image (from your backup) to the Free Space on your 860. Let it fill the Free Space. Just a single partition restore. Use the Change GUID Option. Give the restored partition a new name.
Run fixboot.tbs.
The steps are...
select the 860 partition
Enter
Search on HD0 (Hard......)
Setup a Boot Configuration in partition (EFI System Partition)
Setup a full configuration
Make a note of the Microsoft.xxx number created.
Operation completed
Enter
Exit
Restart computer
Boot Edit, click Add,
Identity... Copy-Win11
Boot... EFI System Partition
Boot File... Browse to Microsoft.xxx\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
OK,
tick in Rename Directory
OK again
OK again
Restart computer
Boot the Win 11 copy. Several times.
Success or not?
If you don't boot into BIU, use the BIU UFD to reactivate BIU. Not reinstall.
Delete the Win11 copy Boot Item. Delete the Win11 copy partition on the 860.
Restore the Win 11 partition image (from your backup) to the Free Space on your 860. Let it fill the Free Space. Just a single partition restore. Use the Change GUID Option. Give the restored partition a new name.
Run fixboot.tbs.
The steps are...
select the 860 partition
Enter
Search on HD0 (Hard......)
Setup a Boot Configuration in partition (EFI System Partition)
Setup a full configuration
Make a note of the Microsoft.xxx number created.
Operation completed
Enter
Exit
Restart computer
Boot Edit, click Add,
Identity... Copy-Win11
Boot... EFI System Partition
Boot File... Browse to Microsoft.xxx\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
OK,
tick in Rename Directory
OK again
OK again
Restart computer
Boot the Win 11 copy. Several times.
Success or not?
If you don't boot into BIU, use the BIU UFD to reactivate BIU. Not reinstall.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Brian, I wish I had left everything intact. If I had seen your post before doing it, I would have tried right away, but I’ve deleted everything and gone back to the way things were before.
To be honest, I’ve lost faith, at least for now, that it will work. We’ve both spent way too much time on this, so for now I’m going to leave it alone. Maybe in a few days, I’ll come back and follow your suggestion.
Thank you
To be honest, I’ve lost faith, at least for now, that it will work. We’ve both spent way too much time on this, so for now I’m going to leave it alone. Maybe in a few days, I’ll come back and follow your suggestion.
Thank you
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Friendly, I wanted you to get back to your normal system so that's fine. No resizing is needed for this method.
Maybe it will work for you. I don't know. But it doesn't use BIU copy so that makes it a different method. It works fine for me but our computers are different.
Thanks for being a good student. None of the issues are your fault.
My son did Med school a few years ago and I did it many decades ago. Is your son almost finished?
Maybe it will work for you. I don't know. But it doesn't use BIU copy so that makes it a different method. It works fine for me but our computers are different.
Thanks for being a good student. None of the issues are your fault.
My son did Med school a few years ago and I did it many decades ago. Is your son almost finished?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Wow, it’s wonderful to hear about your family’s accomplishments. Being a doctor yourself and having your son follow in your footsteps must make you incredibly proud.
It’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Throughout our long back-and-forth exchanges while you were helping me, you stayed calm and composed, something rare these days and I truly appreciated.
My son began the three-year accelerated program at the Cumming School of Medicine in Calgary last year. I moved with him for the first six months to help him settle in since it’s in a different province. We’re from Ontario, and his school is in Alberta, about 4,000 km away. At just 22, he’s still young, so I wanted to give him some extra confidence by being there. Now that he’s nearly completed his first year, I just fly back and forth occasionally to visit.
Time really flies. I always say, boy oh boy, our kids are getting older, never counting us parents!
Thank you again for all the help, it’s been tremendous.
One of these days, I’m sure I’ll revisit this thread and maybe give it another go.
For now, please stay safe and have a good night.
It’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Throughout our long back-and-forth exchanges while you were helping me, you stayed calm and composed, something rare these days and I truly appreciated.
My son began the three-year accelerated program at the Cumming School of Medicine in Calgary last year. I moved with him for the first six months to help him settle in since it’s in a different province. We’re from Ontario, and his school is in Alberta, about 4,000 km away. At just 22, he’s still young, so I wanted to give him some extra confidence by being there. Now that he’s nearly completed his first year, I just fly back and forth occasionally to visit.
Time really flies. I always say, boy oh boy, our kids are getting older, never counting us parents!
Thank you again for all the help, it’s been tremendous.
One of these days, I’m sure I’ll revisit this thread and maybe give it another go.
For now, please stay safe and have a good night.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Friendly, you can ignore this post. It's the old way of creating a Boot Item before fixboot.tbs was released.
The Windows copy has been restored. Now to create a Boot Item for the copy.
Capital letters in particular might need 2 presses of the key. It's the Shift key in UEFI.
In BIU
Scripting
list hd 0
open fs 0: 0 0x01 ((0x01 is my ESP))
0:
dir ((this is to confirm you are in the ESP)) (I see EFI and half a dozen files and folders)
md \efi\Microsoft.021
copy \efi\Microsoft.001\* \efi\Microsoft.021 -s
close fs 0:
exit
To do a BCD Edit
Partition Work
Select EFI System Partition
BCD Edit
select \EFI\Microsoft.021\BOOT\BCD
OK
Menu, Edit, Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the copied Win11
Partition Field, choose the copied Win11
OK
OS Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the copied Win11
Partition Field, choose the copied Win11
OK
Close
Boot, Windows Boot Manager, Edit
Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the ESP
Partition Field, choose the EFI System Partition
OK
Close
Close
Close
Create Boot Item
Boot Edit
Add
Identity... Win11-copy
HD... The number of the drive containing the ESP
Boot... EFI System Partition
Choose Icon
Boot File... Browse. Double click ..
Double click Microsoft.021
Double click Boot
select bootmgfw.efi
OK
tick in Rename Directory
OK
OK again
Reboot
Boot Win11-copy
The Windows copy has been restored. Now to create a Boot Item for the copy.
Capital letters in particular might need 2 presses of the key. It's the Shift key in UEFI.
In BIU
Scripting
list hd 0
open fs 0: 0 0x01 ((0x01 is my ESP))
0:
dir ((this is to confirm you are in the ESP)) (I see EFI and half a dozen files and folders)
md \efi\Microsoft.021
copy \efi\Microsoft.001\* \efi\Microsoft.021 -s
close fs 0:
exit
To do a BCD Edit
Partition Work
Select EFI System Partition
BCD Edit
select \EFI\Microsoft.021\BOOT\BCD
OK
Menu, Edit, Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the copied Win11
Partition Field, choose the copied Win11
OK
OS Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the copied Win11
Partition Field, choose the copied Win11
OK
Close
Boot, Windows Boot Manager, Edit
Device, Edit
Device field. choose the drive containing the ESP
Partition Field, choose the EFI System Partition
OK
Close
Close
Close
Create Boot Item
Boot Edit
Add
Identity... Win11-copy
HD... The number of the drive containing the ESP
Boot... EFI System Partition
Choose Icon
Boot File... Browse. Double click ..
Double click Microsoft.021
Double click Boot
select bootmgfw.efi
OK
tick in Rename Directory
OK
OK again
Reboot
Boot Win11-copy
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
That does seem like an old way, fully manual scripting approach, which I’m not going to bother with, to complicated, but I have another idea I might try later today.
After running “chkdsk,” the fixboot.tbs script, and other suggestions without success, I suspect the problem might be related to resizing and copying.
I have a 4TB Firecuda 530 as storage on the DIMM.2 slot of my board, which I used to run Windows from, but since it’s a Gen4 drive and the SN8100 is Gen5, I switched to the main M.2 slot.
My plan is to move my storage files from the Firecuda to an external drive, then try using that drive to copy the SN’s 1.8GB OS onto the Firecuda to see if it makes a difference.
I also have a brand new 860 Pro 512GB, and since I used to run Windows 11 on my current 860 256GB, I might install the 512GB drive and use an old Windows 11 image I saved from the 256GB drive to copy that image without resizing.
I want to rule out resizing as the issue, if that doesn’t work, then the problem lies elsewhere.
After running “chkdsk,” the fixboot.tbs script, and other suggestions without success, I suspect the problem might be related to resizing and copying.
I have a 4TB Firecuda 530 as storage on the DIMM.2 slot of my board, which I used to run Windows from, but since it’s a Gen4 drive and the SN8100 is Gen5, I switched to the main M.2 slot.
My plan is to move my storage files from the Firecuda to an external drive, then try using that drive to copy the SN’s 1.8GB OS onto the Firecuda to see if it makes a difference.
I also have a brand new 860 Pro 512GB, and since I used to run Windows 11 on my current 860 256GB, I might install the 512GB drive and use an old Windows 11 image I saved from the 256GB drive to copy that image without resizing.
I want to rule out resizing as the issue, if that doesn’t work, then the problem lies elsewhere.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Update for TeraByte Team and Brian,
I have some good news and some not so good news. As I suspected, resizing and copying an OS partition of any size results in corruption of that partition.
Today, I used my Firecuda 530 4TB drive as a secondary OS, containing a copy of my main SN8100 Win11. Following Brian’s suggestion, I converted the empty 4TB drive from MBR to GPT to create an MSR. Then I copied only the OS partition from the SN8100 and pasted it into a partition with free space, adding it to the boot menu as well.
Using Boot Edit, I renamed both drives and disabled all Windows boot managers in the BIOS except BootIt UEFI. After rebooting, everything worked perfectly, booted quickly and flawlessly through multiple restarts while switching drives.
However, as soon as I resized the SN8100 OS partition, no matter the size, the system wouldn’t boot. If resizing worked as it does without resizing, it would be perfect, but I suspect the issue lies within BootIt UEFI’s handling of partitions during resizing. Even after running “chkdsk” with no issues found and trying the fixboot.tbs script, nothing changed.
If the TeraByte devs could resolve this so it works the same after resizing or copying, that would be fantastic.
For now, I’ll stick with the old method of booting directly to the BIOS and starting from there, but I hope this will change soon once the TeraByte team comes up with a solution.
I hope this extra information is helpful.
Thank you.
I have some good news and some not so good news. As I suspected, resizing and copying an OS partition of any size results in corruption of that partition.
Today, I used my Firecuda 530 4TB drive as a secondary OS, containing a copy of my main SN8100 Win11. Following Brian’s suggestion, I converted the empty 4TB drive from MBR to GPT to create an MSR. Then I copied only the OS partition from the SN8100 and pasted it into a partition with free space, adding it to the boot menu as well.
Using Boot Edit, I renamed both drives and disabled all Windows boot managers in the BIOS except BootIt UEFI. After rebooting, everything worked perfectly, booted quickly and flawlessly through multiple restarts while switching drives.
However, as soon as I resized the SN8100 OS partition, no matter the size, the system wouldn’t boot. If resizing worked as it does without resizing, it would be perfect, but I suspect the issue lies within BootIt UEFI’s handling of partitions during resizing. Even after running “chkdsk” with no issues found and trying the fixboot.tbs script, nothing changed.
If the TeraByte devs could resolve this so it works the same after resizing or copying, that would be fantastic.
For now, I’ll stick with the old method of booting directly to the BIOS and starting from there, but I hope this will change soon once the TeraByte team comes up with a solution.
I hope this extra information is helpful.
Thank you.