Copying a partition from a SSD to the free space on a blank HDD. Partition is encrypted and spans whole drive (931.51GiB).
IFW show double the data to copy. The screenshot was taken after a couple of minutes and shows 1.79TiB remaining. The copy completed successfully and I was able to mount the encrypted backup. It did take over 2 hours though which seems a lot for 1TB.
This happened with a drive I copied the other day also.
Why is that happening?
Thanks for any help.
Copy partition size discrepancy
Copy partition size discrepancy
- Attachments
-
- DSC00044_50pc.jpg (170.95 KiB) Viewed 467635 times
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
Are you enabling the option Validate Byte-for-Byte? If so, the amount of data processed is doubled (once for the copy, and once again for the validation).
In your example, if you watch the two bar graphs, the "Item Progress" bar will move at twice the speed of the "Overall Progress" bar. When the copying (but not the validation) is almost done, the Item Progress bar will be at the far right, but the Overall Progress bar will be in the middle (approaching 50%). When the copying is complete, the validation begins and the Item Progress bar will start over at the far left (0%) and then continue until both bars reach the far right (100%). Copying and validation are now done.
I always enable the Validate Byte-for-Byte option even though it doubles the time, since I want to ensure that the copy (or backup) is the same as the original.
In your example, if you watch the two bar graphs, the "Item Progress" bar will move at twice the speed of the "Overall Progress" bar. When the copying (but not the validation) is almost done, the Item Progress bar will be at the far right, but the Overall Progress bar will be in the middle (approaching 50%). When the copying is complete, the validation begins and the Item Progress bar will start over at the far left (0%) and then continue until both bars reach the far right (100%). Copying and validation are now done.
I always enable the Validate Byte-for-Byte option even though it doubles the time, since I want to ensure that the copy (or backup) is the same as the original.
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
Thanks for the reply, but no validation was enabled at all, overall progress bar moved at same rate as progress bar. I should have taken a picture half way through. Also, I don't think data remaining shows double value when validating, I think the value resets to full transfer amount and starts counting down again, but either way there was no validating on this copy.
Thanks again.
Thanks again.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
simple operation will default to validate - you can see nearly 2TiB of data to process, one for the backup and one for the validate.
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
TeraByte Support: What about YesAndNo's comment about the two progress bars moving at the same rate (assuming they remembered correctly)? That wouldn't happen if validate was enabled (regardless of whether it was done manually or automatically).
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
I didn't use simple operation or validate. I'm going to do it again later to try and recreate it.
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
YesAndNo: FYI, typing ALT-PrtScrn will copy just the active window into the clipboard (which you can then save as a file). This will produce a clearer screenshot than using a camera.
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
Thanks Muad'Dib, yes I discovered this while searching for how to take screenshots in WinPE. Found SnapPE and ScreenMe that both need PowerShell packages, then saw the option in the "TBLauncher Advanced Options" plugin.
EDIT: used 'control' instead of 'alt' so got whole screen unfortunately.
EDIT: used 'control' instead of 'alt' so got whole screen unfortunately.
Last edited by YesAndNo on Sun Feb 01, 2026 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
Also, when exiting IFW after taking screenshots, TBLauncher doesn't open and can't be clicked on. Have to open it or something using F2.
Thanks for any help.