Hi,
I have 2 of these Sabrent USB docks (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LS5NFQ2), and I been using them to backup my tbi files, and I have been seeing this weird problem where BIU seems to be intermittently not seeing one or the other drive after I reboot the machine.
Is it possible that BIU may be getting confused because both drives (a 1TB and a 10TB) are in identical USB docks?
BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
If you means switched around, you'd enable the option to use the disk id for boot items in settings.
If you mean it's not there, it's your BIOS, typically disabling quick start or fast start in the BIOS (ensuring it does a full POST) will typically get rid of those types of problems.
If you mean it's not there, it's your BIOS, typically disabling quick start or fast start in the BIOS (ensuring it does a full POST) will typically get rid of those types of problems.
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
Hi,
I meant the latter, either one or both drives would be missing in partition works.
I meant the latter, either one or both drives would be missing in partition works.
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
The laptop bios had fastboot setting with possible values: Minimal, Thorough and Auto. I tried all 3 and it seems like BIU was still randomly seeing those drives.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
Seems like it would be the option: Thorough. BIU gets the drive list from the BIOS.
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
Hi,
As I said, I even tried "Thorough", and it did pick up both drives, but only intermittently. I did notice that when it picked up both drives I could see the LEDs on both drive enclosures blinking, and if it only picked up, or none, that the enclosure LEDs were an indication, so at least that way I know when I have to try to a reboot/retry.
Jim
As I said, I even tried "Thorough", and it did pick up both drives, but only intermittently. I did notice that when it picked up both drives I could see the LEDs on both drive enclosures blinking, and if it only picked up, or none, that the enclosure LEDs were an indication, so at least that way I know when I have to try to a reboot/retry.
Jim
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
Many systems have multiple controllers for the USB ports. You could try ports on a different controller if there is one (some may work better). Also, there may be other BIOS options available for some controllers in addition to the "main" USB options. Might be worth digging through all the options if you haven't.
Some systems also have a setting for how long to wait for a keypress to enter the BIOS. Depending on where this is in the boot process, if the USB issue is timing, making the boot-up take a bit longer might help.
Some systems also have a setting for how long to wait for a keypress to enter the BIOS. Depending on where this is in the boot process, if the USB issue is timing, making the boot-up take a bit longer might help.
Re: BIU intermittently not seeing hard drive in USB enclosure
Jim, you could try plugging in a USB HD while you are in BootIt. My computer sees the drive.