I have been a long time user of Macrium Reflect. My last purchase was in 2018 and it is in use on my 3 windows 10 computers. It is EOL. I really don't want to pay for a subscription. I am a casual user, mostly web browsing and using MS Office. I back up weekly to an external HD.
I also have a lifetime subscription to Aomei Backupper Pro. I never installed it as I was concerned that it is Chinese.
I used Acronis many years ago, but it put some files or something in my startup or something like that and would cause problems.
I am going to install a trial version of TeraByte but I would like opinions as to the overall ease of use, especially for reinstalling from a backup. I have never had to use Macrium for a restore, but it seems easy enough.
I would purchase the bundle from Terabyte but does it included extra programs functions like bare metal restore and restore to a different computer/operating system?
Thanks for helping this novice out.
Considering using TeraByte Drive Image
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Considering using TeraByte Drive Image
Most will want to use the defaults which choose simple operations. Yes, you'd use the osdtool.tbs script for different hardware when needed. Frankly since Win10+ it handles new hardware much better than old OSes. Typically, you just need a storage driver if it's special. https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ has an example.
As a side node, we invented the particular method others are using for different hardware (at the time Acronis and licensees of ours used a different method). We choose using TBScript with the thought others could contribute to it, just naive that others would outright copy it. Dr Teeth introduced our script to some such company, and voila they had that ability in binary form, but with the exact same issues we had in the script. Since then we had to obfuscate our scripts and why they now obfuscated.
As a side node, we invented the particular method others are using for different hardware (at the time Acronis and licensees of ours used a different method). We choose using TBScript with the thought others could contribute to it, just naive that others would outright copy it. Dr Teeth introduced our script to some such company, and voila they had that ability in binary form, but with the exact same issues we had in the script. Since then we had to obfuscate our scripts and why they now obfuscated.
-
OldNavyGuy
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am
Re: Considering using TeraByte Drive Image
Been using IFW for years and it has never let us down.
The only feature it doesn't have that I would like to see is backing up individual folders and files.
The only feature it doesn't have that I would like to see is backing up individual folders and files.