Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
TheDetective
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2025 7:17 pm

Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

Post by TheDetective »

Could someone please give me some advice on how to set up a schedule that would do the following:

Once a month, create a new full backup.
After creating the new full backup, produce a differential backup based on the new full backup every day, and stop making differential backups based on the previous full backup.

I have figured out how to schedule the full backup every month, and I see know how to manually schedule differential backups based on an existing full backup, but I am not sure how to go about setting it up so that it will automatically switch to the new full backup.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

Post by TeraByte Support »

search "savename" in the manual.

Also, if you didn't mind incrementals, you could use simple operations with n number of incrementals (settings / general tab). Let it handle the drive filling up or use /maxdss to set a max size to use on the drive.
TheDetective
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2025 7:17 pm

Re: Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

Post by TheDetective »

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into the savename option. I thought about the simple operation option you mentioned because I saw the setting where it will automatically handle the number of incremental backups, but I could not seem to get it to let me schedule an incremental backup in simple mode. It only let me run it manually. I must be missing something.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

Post by TeraByte Support »

for simple mode scheduling, easiest to just use the UI, act like you're going to do that backup, instead of start, click schedule backup.

Simple only gives that option if an existing one doesn't exist where as traditional you can add multiple items and manage them through the setting or the task scheduler itself.
TheDetective
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2025 7:17 pm

Re: Guidance on how to set up an automatic Full / Differential backup

Post by TheDetective »

I read the information in the manual about how to use the /savename option and was able to modify the schedules in task scheduler. I tested it out it seems to be working. Thanks!
Post Reply