Destination drive not big enough

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
fairlane32
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Destination drive not big enough

Post by fairlane32 »

Hey all,
Trying to backup and restore an image pulled from a laptop to another laptop of exactly the same specs, including hard drive type and size, and when choosing the destintion drive partition I am told the destination partition is too small. How is that possible when the drives are exactly the same? Or are they not? See attached images.

What am I doing wrong? I have used IFW for years, but when I updated it to 4.08 I am unable to lay down an image on a computer that is the same size.

Thanks,
Phil

https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... w?e=6j8xtM

https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... w?e=eSyXvA

https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... A?e=1bGnC1

https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... g?e=xsIOyT
OldNavyGuy
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:08 am

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by OldNavyGuy »

Your links require signing in with a Microsoft account.

You might upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive with shared permissions so folks don't have to login...or attach them to your post if each file size is 256K or less.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by Bob Coleman »

I can't access the images from the first post.

Are you trying to back up and restore an entire disk or a single partition?

You say that the hard drives on two computers are the same type and size, but then say that you get a message that the destination PARTITION is too small.

Is it possible that the relevant partitions on the two computers are different sizes despite the disks being the same size?
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by TeraByte Support »

Ensure you select the correct target drive and use "scale to fit". It may be partitioned beyond the end of the drive or what the driver that accessing the drive at the time thinks.
fairlane32
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by fairlane32 »

TeraByte Support wrote: Fri Oct 31, 2025 6:39 pm Ensure you select the correct target drive and use "scale to fit". It may be partitioned beyond the end of the drive or what the driver that accessing the drive at the time thinks.
I did not see that option anywhere during the steps. Where exactly can I find it? What screen does it appear available?

Incidentally...I went back, made another backup: The first Backup I turned OFF Simple Operations, (so I can give it a name that I can recognize when choosing images for the appropriate hardware) gave it a name, and attempted a Restore, also with Simple Operations turned off I believe, but when choosing that image that I named, I got the error. So I went back, performed a second backup with Simple Operations on, and was able to find the image buried under TBI folders with todays date. I didn't attempt to rename it (is that even possible, I forget :D ) thinking when I go to do the Restore - with Simple Operations still on, I would be able to search and navigate to that dated image. But when I did, it only shows you a single image from the external drive, which looked like the image I named manually. So I went for it, and as I look at the information's Source Folder and Source File, it's showing the file that was buried within the folders, whereas the images I manually named are on the external drives root directory.

I thought I would try a third time, but see if I can look on the external drive and navigate to the automated backup with today's date as the filename, and change it (Isn't that what that ProtectIt was for?) and see if doing a restore would allow me to choose that renamed image file.




Sorry about the screenshots, I did use OneDrive and selected each image and chose Copy Link and that's what I pasted into the forum post. When in Preview mode here, I was able to click the link to display the pictures but obviously no one else can, I'll try again and check permissions...They are too big to post here as attachments.
fairlane32
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by fairlane32 »

TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by TeraByte Support »

Not sure what you mean or what doing other backups would do?

With simple operations, you backup and it handles the files for you. When you restore it shows you which backups are from the computer you're on as well as backup from other systems in a separate section. It tells you information about the drive, if you click information it gives you even more details including the system it was from. On restore, scale to fit is already enabled.

If you use traditional mode, you choose where to save it and the name. You restore by selecting the location and file name you created. Scale to fit will be right there at the top of the restore options for entire drive restores.
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by Bob Coleman »

fairlane32 wrote: Fri Oct 31, 2025 8:11 pm https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... g?e=0kKFm3

Can you see this one? :?:
Yes.
fairlane32
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by fairlane32 »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Nov 01, 2025 7:52 am Not sure what you mean or what doing other backups would do?

With simple operations, you backup and it handles the files for you. When you restore it shows you which backups are from the computer you're on as well as backup from other systems in a separate section. It tells you information about the drive, if you click information it gives you even more details including the system it was from. On restore, scale to fit is already enabled.

If you use traditional mode, you choose where to save it and the name. You restore by selecting the location and file name you created. Scale to fit will be right there at the top of the restore options for entire drive restores.
https://longbeachlibrary-my.sharepoint. ... Q?e=at3WmL

Is this picture showing Traditional Mode? If so, where is Scale to Fit? If this picture is NOT traditional mode, then I don't know what it is; This screen is what is shown when Simple Operations are turned off and you are asked to choose the destination.

Simple operations may have Scale to fit on by default, but the screen that asks you to choose a backup didn't display any backups for me to choose. I was trying to explain that depending on which Mode I used (simple operations on or off) to perform the backup and restore; when simple operations are ON I was not presented with a backup I JUST made to restore. It showed me a different named backup that I know wasn't the one I wanted. I just couldn't remember if I used SO or not when I created the backup. When Restoring with SO turned ON it only showed me a backup that I didn't want to use. Hence the importance of using Traditional mode when backing up/restoring because I can name the .tbi file and remember to choose that one when restoring.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Destination drive not big enough

Post by TeraByte Support »

simple operations backup is normally the only thing that will show in simple operations restore.

traditional mode backups need to use traditional mode for restore.

single partition restore wouldn't offer scale-to-fit, it would have a resize field.

multi-partition restore to a drive with partitions would not allow resize, it would go back to where it was from.

full drive (or multi-partition restore to a blank drive) has the scale-to-fit option.

If you can't get past the destination, then there is no chance of fitting. The selection of what to restore will show if it's partial or not.
Post Reply