I've used Bootit BM 1.48 on my old PC which finally bit the dust recently so I bought a 10th gen I7 (crappy HP) pc cheap and yanked the cpu, 32gb of ram, NVME with an installed windows 11, and built a gigabyte based PC, split the SSD C partition into 2 partitions and then installed windows 11 on new part. to create the necessary settings for a simple dual boot (so I thought) then restored an Acronis True Image backup of C onto the new part. Oh well, it didn't work like I thought it would. So, presuming my 1.48 BM license is good for the latest BM version, I am planning to install that on my new PC. I am not really a fan of Win 11 nor all this locked down hardware of this era. I removed bitlocker and secure boot and am ready to go back to bootit which I should have done in the beginning.
Are there any issues with simply creating a bootit usb and doing a simple straightforward install on my ssd drive? I eventually plan to also add a usb version of windows 11 for testing but the 2 SSD versions are the only other versions I'll have. One for gaming and one for everything else. If you know of any issues with my planned scenario such as win 11 or any other gotchas I'm likely to encounter please let me know. I'd like for this to be a simple install so I can get to my new games.
You're way over my head putting parts from one PC into another, but is what you're left with UEFI based? If so, you can't use BIBM on it (I don't think).
Oh yeah definitely uefi - it's a new gigabyte z590 UD motherboard with all the latest. Win11 requires uefi if i'm not mistaken. I made a bootit install last night with what I downloaded after entering my details, order number etc. When I used makedisk I answered "PC platform=uefi", then it gave me a choice between bootit uefi or image uefi so I left the bootit uefi item selected. I guess I need to check with support and make sure I have the right thing. Gotta dr appt first tho. I like bootit and have used it for years. First at my work where I discovered it, then at home after I bought it myself. But I learned to ask questions before jumping in rather than afterwards! I should add that after I set it up years ago i didn't touch it again for a LONG time hence my unfamiliarity with the current software. That and my ever advancing age.
Last edited by olinbr99 on Wed Oct 22, 2025 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olinbr99 wrote: Wed Oct 22, 2025 5:36 pm
Oh yeah definitely uefi - it's a new gigabyte z590 UD motherboard with all the latest. Win11 requires uefi if i'm not mistaken. I made a bootit install last night with what I downloaded after entering my details, order number etc. When I used makedisk I answered "PC platform=uefi", then it gave me a choice between bootit uefi or image uefi so I left the bootit uefi item selected. I guess I need to check with support and make sure I have the right thing. Gotta dr appt first tho. I like bootit and have used it for years. First at my work where I discovered it, then at home after I bought it myself. But I learned to ask questions before jumping in rather than afterwards! I should add that after I set it up years ago i didn't touch it again for a LONG time hence my unfamiliarity with the current software. That and my ever advancing age.
OK, you are now using Bootit UIFI which you should be. You can forget about Bootit BM.
just one more thing (I hope)...I have my ssd laid out as 496MB efi, 230GB C, 234GB D, 984MB recovery. The video you gave me relates to installing OS(s) after bootit install it seems. Is there a specific video for my scenario and is my drive layout ok or not? I need to leave momentarily so I've just skimmed it so far but will do more research when I return later this afternoon. I purchased the SSD drive in another pc then moved it to my new build, used disk mgmt to split the C partition, then installed win11 pro on new part, then I restored an acronis backup of C to the D partition, and finally edited the BCD before discovering this scenario won't work. Seems Windows has not advanced as much as I'd thought. So back to Bootit. I can delete the new part and increase efi and recovery if necessary but I defer to your expertise.