Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
Bob Coleman
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Bob Coleman »

I forget the details, but when doing the partition copy/paste isn't one supposed to check Create New Boot Item or something like that?

I might have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of that above.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

It was selected...

"Add to Boot Menu"
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Brian and Bob,

My SINCEREST APOLOGIES, but you BOTH were right!!

Brian DID have "Add to Boot Menu" in his earlier post, but I COMPLETELY MISSED THAT, and hadn't been check the "Add to Boot Menu" checkbox when I did the COPY :(!!

I just re-did that, and this time, checking that checkbox, and this time it created the Microsoft.002 file AND the new boot menu item.

I did the hides in both boot items and was able to boot to both Windows 10 instances.

I will try the Win11 upgrade a little bit later.

(Brian, especially) my apologies again for missing that completely.

Jim
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

Jim and Bob, great work. All ok. But out of interest, where did that incorrect Boot Item come from? I did a test Copy/Paste without selecting
"Add to Boot Menu" and no Boot Item was created.

Jim, you only need one hide in each Boot Item. The non booting OS should be hidden.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Brian,

On the earlier attempts, after the paste finished, *I* was using Boot Edit to create a new Boot Item, because I didn't see a new one..

I now have been trying to run the Windows 11 Installation Assistant, but it seems like it getting stuck (or maybe slowing WAAAY down) after about 80% and gets even slower about 84%. It has been running for awhile, and that was even after I increased the size of the new partition.

Does that always take this long to do the in-place Windows 10-to-11 update?

Thanks again,
Jim
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

Jim, I've never used that method. I downloaded a Win11 ISO and used Rufus to make a bootable UFD. Plug in the UFD (while Windows is running) and double click setup.exe. An upgrade takes around 30 minutes.

Sorrt, you don't need to make a UFD. Open the ISO in Windows Explorer and double click setup.exe. I must have been thinking of using the UFD for a fresh install.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Brian,

The upgrade to Win11 just finished, so depending how you count, it looks I think it was somewhere between 3-3.5 hours, but I just glad it worked :)!!

Thanks,
Jim
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

When Win11 25H2 is released soon, I'll download the ISO and run setup.exe. It is a more efficient way of upgrading compared to using Windows Update. And the amount of Used Space in the partition (after cleaning up) is smaller than using Windows Update.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

I probably will do that also... I wanted to use the Windows 11 Installation Assistant this, in case there was some weirdness re. upgrading to Win11.
Post Reply