Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

The Boot File should be...

\EFI\Microsoft.002\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Brian,

I don't think there is a Microsoft.002 anywhere, but let me check again. Would you expect the Microsoft.002 to be in the same directory as the Microsoft.001 is?

Let me check again and I'll post back.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

Yes, same folder. The EFI folder.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

so there is no Microsoft.002 under EFI. There is Microsoft.001 and a bunch of Dell.xxx files but no other Microsoft.xxx file.

Didn't we run into something like before/earlier? I don't remember how we got around this.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

Jim, I'd repeat the exercise. Delete the Copy Boot Item. Delete the copied partition. Restart. Redo Copy/Paste.
Good luck.
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

When I did the copy then the paste, there is something that I did that was a little different. I wanted the new copied partition to be such that it was up against the existing partition that was above it, to leave space between the new partition and the existing windows 10 partition.

In other words when I did the paste I set 0 above and xxxxxx below the new partition.

Is it possible that that is why the new Microsoft.002 didn't get created?
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

When I paste, the default is 0 Free Space Before. I have never edited those fields.

When you look at PartWork, is the Free Space slightly larger than the OS partition?
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Brian,

Sorry I had to go to bed but I am up now.

The free space is pretty big. I think the Windows 10 partition is 300000MB and the free space is 600000MB.

I will try again but not set the before and after and see if that works.

Do you know what, exactly is supposed to be creating that new Microsoft.002 file? Is it BIU itself? Or is it something else?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya1000
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Brian,

I re-did the copy-paste, this time now changing the space, and FYI, still no new Microsoft.002 file :(!!
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Clone Windows 10 Partion then Upgrade to Win11?

Post by Brian K »

It's a mystery Jim. Let's create the Boot File.

What size is your ESP? In PartWork click Properties, Details. What is Free and Used? Ideally you will need at least 50 MiB Free. Get back to us if Free is less than 50 MiB.

In BIU click Run
fixboot.tbs, OK
select the Windows copy
Enter
Enter
You see "BCD store not found on HD0"
select "Setup a Boot Configuration in partition (ESP) (01)"
Enter
Setup a full configuration
Enter

You will see Operation completed. I'd expect the folder is \EFI\Microsoft.002. The folder name will be displayed.
Exit

open Boot Edit for your Windows copy
click Browse
double click the .. on the top left side of the white area
double click Microsoft.002 (it should be 002, or the one just created)
double click Boot
scroll down to bootmgfw.efi (almost at the bottom)
select it and click OK
OK on the Edit Menu Item page
OK on the Menu items

Try booting the item

If you don't have a Boot Item for the copy, click Add and create one.
Post Reply