IFW v4.00 asking for Name/Key on TBWinRE WIM for Reboot

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Brian K

Re: IFW v4.00 asking for Name/Key on TBWinRE WIM for Reboot

Post by Brian K »

I'm confused about the differences between...

"Create/Update TBWinRE WIM used for Reboot" and "Modify the installed Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)"

Sorry if this is obvious.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Now that you bring it up, I'm confused as well because in my view both functions are the same thing. Good question Brian.
Also, I think there should be a warning when running the installer saying that if one does not insert Name and Key, IFW and other components such as REs or PEs are going to ask for Keys. In other words, that they are not going to be functional.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

In normal use, there are only slight differences between the two. The "Modify the installed Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)" option is the same as what it was before the IFW WinRE build existed -- it updates the installed WinRE to a TBWinRE build. This build is also a valid IFW WinRE build (if it meets the IFW WinRE build requirements it can be used without rebuilding).

The IFW WinRE (reboot) build has more strict build and version requirements and some option overrides to ensure it functions as needed for the reboot operation. This build can also be minimal, if necessary, by excluding programs (not enough free space for a full build, for example).

When IFW initiates the reboot operation, the requirements for the existing build are checked and a rebuild is done if needed. If you want to have that build ready so a rebuild isn't necessary when you do a reboot operation, you would select the "Create/Update TBWinRE WIM used for Reboot" menu option.

Regarding not entering the license information when installing IFW, the IFW WinRE build taking place as part of the installation process will abort with an error in this case. Meaning that when IFW would trigger the rebuild at a later time, the license would be valid at that point (IFW is running). When manually creating a TBWinRE or TBWinPE build, you would be prompted to enter the license if it wasn't found. If you skip entering it, the programs will prompt for them.

In your case, the issue was due to the old V3 license not being updated to V4 for the normal build. This issue has been fixed for the next release.
TeraByte Support(PP)

I should add that another difference between the two, is that "Create/Update TBWinRE WIM used for Reboot" doesn't have to target the installed WinRE. If the user has selected to use the IFW BootWIM build instead, then that build is the one that's checked and rebuilt as needed and whatever build (or not) exists in WinRE isn't changed.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:40 am In your case, the issue was due to the old V3 license not being updated to V4 for the normal build. This issue has been fixed for the next release.
Is it correct to say that this issue was a bug?
TeraByte Support(PP)

No. I wouldn't say it was a bug.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 am No. I wouldn't say it was a bug.
If something has to be fixed isn't it a bug?
Then what is considered a bug?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

more like an enhancement to help deal with a certain condition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:44 am I should add that another difference between the two, is that "Create/Update TBWinRE WIM used for Reboot" doesn't have to target the installed WinRE. If the user has selected to use the IFW BootWIM build instead, then that build is the one that's checked and rebuilt as needed and whatever build (or not) exists in WinRE isn't changed.
Is this correct?
In the TBWinRE build process, select the IFW WinRE tab and select...

Use IFW BootWIM mode

Create TBWinRE WIM for use with Image for Windows (IFW BootWIM)

An IFW_BootWIM folder is created containing boot.wim

How do I use this file with IFW GUI to do an OS restore?
Hadron

Post by Hadron »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:40 am In your case, the issue was due to the old V3 license not being updated to V4 for the normal build. This issue has been fixed for the next release.
Regarding old v3 licenses.

TBWinPE.ini located in:
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\tbwinre
has both V3 and V4 licenses. Should I remove the old V3 license? The BIUKey is also the old V3 one and BIBMKey is empty. There is also an empty Name and Key line.

[License]
Name=
Key=
BIBMName=
BIBMKey=
Name-V3=xxxxx xxxxx
Key-V3=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
BIUName=xxxxx xxxxx
BIUKey=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Name-V4=xxxxx xxxxx
Key-V4=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Some clarification would be appreciated.