brucebne wrote:
>
> However I still have to do resizing and sliding in WOrk with Partitions....and this
> suffers from the 'slow' bug.
I know. That's why i resize and slide (Windows and Linux partitions) in IFL, PartWork. It's much faster.
How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partition
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
OK, hooray!
so from within an installed version of BIU, I used IFU's "COPY" option to clone a Mint partition, being sure to select change uuid, assume same hd, change volume sn.....
and did a check before booting into the clone.
grub.cfg and fstab had the new uuid.
and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
The clone booted up without issue.
Brilliant!!!
so from within an installed version of BIU, I used IFU's "COPY" option to clone a Mint partition, being sure to select change uuid, assume same hd, change volume sn.....
and did a check before booting into the clone.
grub.cfg and fstab had the new uuid.
and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
The clone booted up without issue.
Brilliant!!!
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> >
> > However I still have to do resizing and sliding in WOrk with Partitions....and
> this
> > suffers from the 'slow' bug.
>
> I know. That's why i resize and slide (Windows and Linux partitions) in IFL,
> PartWork. It's much faster.
Hang on....when I said Work with Partitions, I meant Partition Work. The button says "Partition Work", but once you click it, the program's header says "Work with Partitions".
So are you saying you can do sliding and resizing in IFL?
> brucebne wrote:
>
> >
> > However I still have to do resizing and sliding in WOrk with Partitions....and
> this
> > suffers from the 'slow' bug.
>
> I know. That's why i resize and slide (Windows and Linux partitions) in IFL,
> PartWork. It's much faster.
Hang on....when I said Work with Partitions, I meant Partition Work. The button says "Partition Work", but once you click it, the program's header says "Work with Partitions".
So are you saying you can do sliding and resizing in IFL?
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
TeraByte Support wrote:
>
> This one had:
> search.fs_uuid root hd0,11 for the original, 11 is is the gpt slot of
> the original, new one was in gpt slot 13.
>
TeraByte Support,
I just installed Mint on Hard Drive 2 (in BIU). The ESP is on Hard Drive 5 (in BIU)
My grub,cfg is
search.fs_uuid <uuid> root hd1.gpt3
As I mentioned above, my other Linux OS are installed on the ESP drive and are all...
search.fs_uuid <uuid> root
This is the only one with partition info... hd1.gpt3
The partition is 0x3
But it is Hard Drive 2 in BIU and sdb in Linux.
In Linux the first 2 disks are nvme0n1 and nvme1n1
So I'm lost. What is hd1 in hd1.gpt3
>
> This one had:
> search.fs_uuid root hd0,11 for the original, 11 is is the gpt slot of
> the original, new one was in gpt slot 13.
>
TeraByte Support,
I just installed Mint on Hard Drive 2 (in BIU). The ESP is on Hard Drive 5 (in BIU)
My grub,cfg is
search.fs_uuid <uuid> root hd1.gpt3
As I mentioned above, my other Linux OS are installed on the ESP drive and are all...
search.fs_uuid <uuid> root
This is the only one with partition info... hd1.gpt3
The partition is 0x3
But it is Hard Drive 2 in BIU and sdb in Linux.
In Linux the first 2 disks are nvme0n1 and nvme1n1
So I'm lost. What is hd1 in hd1.gpt3
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
>
> So are you saying you can do sliding and resizing in IFL?
Yes. It's called PartWork. (It has all the components of Work with Partitions). You need a BIU license for full functionality. It's somewhat crippled without a license.
Edit... The icon in IFL says Partition Work.
>
> So are you saying you can do sliding and resizing in IFL?
Yes. It's called PartWork. (It has all the components of Work with Partitions). You need a BIU license for full functionality. It's somewhat crippled without a license.
Edit... The icon in IFL says Partition Work.
Last edited by Brian K on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
> The clone booted up without issue.
> Brilliant!!!
Very nice. Any issues with not using ubuntu.xxx?
> The clone booted up without issue.
> Brilliant!!!
Very nice. Any issues with not using ubuntu.xxx?
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
> and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the
> boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with
> EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
>
I just tried it. I have Secure Boot enabled so it doesn't work. I know you don't use Secure Boot.
(when I was testing this with you yesterday, I inadvertently had Secure Boot disabled)
I use shimx64.efi
> and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the
> boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with
> EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
>
I just tried it. I have Secure Boot enabled so it doesn't work. I know you don't use Secure Boot.
(when I was testing this with you yesterday, I inadvertently had Secure Boot disabled)
I use shimx64.efi
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
> BUT
> Image for Dos does.
>
It is Image for UEFI. IFD is in BIBM.
> BUT
> Image for Dos does.
>
It is Image for UEFI. IFD is in BIBM.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Bruce, for what it's worth you can install IFL in Mint and also run Partition Work. It's fast.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> > and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the
> > boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with
> > EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
> >
>
> I just tried it. I have Secure Boot enabled so it doesn't work. I know you don't use
> Secure Boot.
>
> (when I was testing this with you yesterday, I inadvertently had Secure Boot
> disabled)
>
> I use shimx64.efi
Interesting.... does shimx64.efi as a bootloader get around BIOS 'secure boot'?
if so, for your BIU boot menu item, where are you storing shimx64.efi? on OS partition or EFI/ubuntu?
I just downloaded IFL, and have made a few usb sticks.....but all of them are not booting, in either legacy or uefi mode.
I trialled IFL some months ago and recall there was some issue with it that made me stick with IFD within BIBM.
ANy clues on why IFL won't boot?
BTW, yeah I just read in the IFL manual that there's an installable program for Linux....which I hadn't realized before today.
Thanks.
I've gotten into a habit of doing partition work independent of OS boot. It avoids issues with partitions being mounted.
Nevertheless, I will have a look at it.
> brucebne wrote:
>
> > and as I am using OS partition /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi as the
> > boot loader for the BIU Boot Menu Item, I don't have to mess with
> > EFI/ubuntu.. folders.
> >
>
> I just tried it. I have Secure Boot enabled so it doesn't work. I know you don't use
> Secure Boot.
>
> (when I was testing this with you yesterday, I inadvertently had Secure Boot
> disabled)
>
> I use shimx64.efi
Interesting.... does shimx64.efi as a bootloader get around BIOS 'secure boot'?
if so, for your BIU boot menu item, where are you storing shimx64.efi? on OS partition or EFI/ubuntu?
I just downloaded IFL, and have made a few usb sticks.....but all of them are not booting, in either legacy or uefi mode.
I trialled IFL some months ago and recall there was some issue with it that made me stick with IFD within BIBM.
ANy clues on why IFL won't boot?
BTW, yeah I just read in the IFL manual that there's an installable program for Linux....which I hadn't realized before today.
Thanks.
I've gotten into a habit of doing partition work independent of OS boot. It avoids issues with partitions being mounted.
Nevertheless, I will have a look at it.