brucebne wrote:
>
> And from what I understand, if I make the boot menu item from OS partition bootloader
> i.e. /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi
> then there should be no need to edit grub.cfg because I understand grub is not
> involved in booting the OS.
>
> Brian, I'd be interested in your experience with this.
>
Bruce, interesting. I setup 3 new Boot Items for Mint and two clones of Mint. No matter which Boot Item I chose, the original Mint booted. The clones didn't boot.
I suspected this might happen because last year I had two different IFL on my SSD. There were two Boot Items but they both booted the same IFL. The other IFL wouldn't boot. The Boot Files referenced the partitions.
Edit,,, The Mint boot behavior was the same whether I used /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi or /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi .
How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partition
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Last edited by Brian K on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
> Brian K wrote:
> > When you copy a Linux OS partition choose these Options...
> >
> > Change GUID
> > Change Volume SN
> >
>
> Just tried a partition copy.
> I don't see these two options anywhere in 1.06 (trial version).
They are in Disk Imaging Options. Not present in the Trial????
> Brian K wrote:
> > When you copy a Linux OS partition choose these Options...
> >
> > Change GUID
> > Change Volume SN
> >
>
> Just tried a partition copy.
> I don't see these two options anywhere in 1.06 (trial version).
They are in Disk Imaging Options. Not present in the Trial????
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Brian K wrote:
>
> Bruce, interesting. I setup 3 new Boot Items for Mint and two clones of Mint. No
> matter which Boot Item I chose, the original Mint booted. The clones didn't boot.
>
> I suspected this might happen because last year I had two different IFL on my SSD.
> There were two Boot Items but they both booted the same IFL. The other IFL wouldn't
> boot. The Boot Files referenced the partitions.
read through my last post re the steps for booting a clone.
I think I have finally made it bullet proof.
and don't use core.efi as the bootloader for the clones.
>
> Bruce, interesting. I setup 3 new Boot Items for Mint and two clones of Mint. No
> matter which Boot Item I chose, the original Mint booted. The clones didn't boot.
>
> I suspected this might happen because last year I had two different IFL on my SSD.
> There were two Boot Items but they both booted the same IFL. The other IFL wouldn't
> boot. The Boot Files referenced the partitions.
read through my last post re the steps for booting a clone.
I think I have finally made it bullet proof.
and don't use core.efi as the bootloader for the clones.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Brian K wrote:
>
> They are in Disk Imaging Options. Not present in the Trial????
didn't see them......will look again tomorrow with fresh eyes.
>
> They are in Disk Imaging Options. Not present in the Trial????
didn't see them......will look again tomorrow with fresh eyes.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
I just added an Edit for 2 or 3 posts above.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
>
> now if you are intent on using a bootloader file on ESP, I suppose you
> could make copy a current /ubuntu.00x/ folder, change its number, and copy
> the grub.efi file from the clone partition to the copied and renamed
> /ubuntu.00x folder......and select that as the boot file in the new boot
> menu item.
> Though I haven't tried that.
This is my latest...
I start in BIU and copy ubuntu.001 to ubuntu (not ubuntu.xxx) in Scripting using Paul's lines
Boot IFL
Copy the Linux OS to Free Space. Change GUID, Change Volume SN
Terminal, blkid, mouse copy the uuid of the copied Linux partition
PartWork, Edit File, paste the uuid into ubuntu\grub.cfg (ctrl-v). Save
Reboot. There will be a Boot Item already created. Ubuntu folder will have been renamed to ubuntu.xxx.
>
> now if you are intent on using a bootloader file on ESP, I suppose you
> could make copy a current /ubuntu.00x/ folder, change its number, and copy
> the grub.efi file from the clone partition to the copied and renamed
> /ubuntu.00x folder......and select that as the boot file in the new boot
> menu item.
> Though I haven't tried that.
This is my latest...
I start in BIU and copy ubuntu.001 to ubuntu (not ubuntu.xxx) in Scripting using Paul's lines
Boot IFL
Copy the Linux OS to Free Space. Change GUID, Change Volume SN
Terminal, blkid, mouse copy the uuid of the copied Linux partition
PartWork, Edit File, paste the uuid into ubuntu\grub.cfg (ctrl-v). Save
Reboot. There will be a Boot Item already created. Ubuntu folder will have been renamed to ubuntu.xxx.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
saw your edit.
how did that last method go?
how did that last method go?
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Further to my Edit...
After a Shutdown none of the 3 Boot Items will boot into Mint. Using the grub.efi choice.
More later.
After a Shutdown none of the 3 Boot Items will boot into Mint. Using the grub.efi choice.
More later.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
brucebne wrote:
>
> how did that last method go?
The IFL method? Great. Mint clone booted.
>
> how did that last method go?
The IFL method? Great. Mint clone booted.
Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Brian K wrote:
> Further to my Edit...
>
> After a Shutdown none of the 3 Boot Items will boot into Mint. Using the
> grub.efi choice.
>
> More later.
recheck none of your BIU boot menu item changes were overwritten.
I just set up a /EFI/ubuntu.00x/ folder and copied the grub.efi file into it from clone partition.
I landed in grub rescue so might have got the ubuntu folder number wrong.....
time for sleep
> Further to my Edit...
>
> After a Shutdown none of the 3 Boot Items will boot into Mint. Using the
> grub.efi choice.
>
> More later.
recheck none of your BIU boot menu item changes were overwritten.
I just set up a /EFI/ubuntu.00x/ folder and copied the grub.efi file into it from clone partition.
I landed in grub rescue so might have got the ubuntu folder number wrong.....
time for sleep