procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
tangodc
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 pm

procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by tangodc »

I am not a computer science major, but is there a a procudure for how to restore a windows 7 OS and everything needed to replicate the clone to a virtual machine?
TeraByte Support
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by TeraByte Support »

just use copyp2v in the pro version of tbosdt. runtbs copyp2v.tbs


"tangodc" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I am not a computer science major, but is there a a procudure for how to
restore a windows 7 OS and everything needed to replicate the clone to a
virtual machine?

a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by a1pcfixer »

Does a VM negate the effects of a TB image say from a Dell being
restored into a say Gateway PC's VM, with different
hardware....considering the big issue of WPA and hardware
(WinXP/Vista/Win 7)?

I'm running MS-VM on a couple PC's here, just something I haven't yet
tried so I'm wondering if such is doable?
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Windows licensing and activation still applies. For a P2V move, Windows will see the VM as a different system. If the source system has an OEM Windows license you most likely won't be able to activate it on a different system (physical or virtual). For a V2V type move using the same VM software, the change may only be seen as a different CPU, for example, and may not trigger reactivation.
a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by a1pcfixer »

OK, so basicly doing a restore of an image, even to a VM, must be on
the original PC or problems might crop up.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:05:33 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
a1pcfixer disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>OK, so basicly doing a restore of an image, even to a VM, must be on
>the original PC or problems might crop up.

When I had some major issues when upgrading this PC (must have swapped
m/b a total of 6 times in 2 weeks - I am a faulty kit magnet)) I did
not have anything close to what I would call a problem. Win 7 was
quite happy to be swapped between hardware installs (same h/d used in
each rebuild, no reinstalls). It was a retail edition and all the
reactivations were totally painless and done without a human at the
other end - it was very impressive indeed.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

a1pcfixer wrote:OK, so basicly doing a restore of an image, even to a VM, must be on
the original PC or problems might crop up.
The restore can be to different hardware or to a virtual drive or in a virtual machine. You can use the CopyP2V script or do the restore normally and fix things up with TBOSDT. I was just pointing out that as far as Windows is concerned that activation and "different computer" related issues still apply and would need to taken care of. Taking an image of a computer and then restoring that image to a VM on the same computer will not get around these problems. The VM is still a different computer. In other words, it doesn't usually make a difference if the VM source image came from the source computer or a completely different computer.

In general, if you're actually migrating a VM from one computer to another, the main problem is activation (if Windows gets deactivated, which it may not). The retail version of Windows is much easier to work with in these cases since it's not locked to the original system.
a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by a1pcfixer »

DrTeeth,

> When I had some major issues when upgrading this PC (must have swapped
> m/b a total of 6 times in 2 weeks - I am a faulty kit magnet)) I did
> not have anything close to what I would call a problem. Win 7 was
> quite happy to be swapped between hardware installs (same h/d used in
> each rebuild, no reinstalls). It was a retail edition and all the
> reactivations were totally painless and done without a human at the
> other end - it was very impressive indeed.

But what you did was an image re-install to the same PC from which the
image was created with basicly the same hardware.

I'm inquiring about say you trying to put your PC's image (IFW?) into a
VM on my PC, which it's a given would definitely have drastically
different hardware.

By my take of what 'PP' claims, even in a VM it's not gonna work, too
many hardware changes/differences.

Windows Product Activation checks eight different categories of
hardware:

* Processor & Serial Number
* IDE Adapter
* Hard Drive Device and VSN
* RAM Amount Range
* Display Adapter
* Optical Drive
* SCSI Adapter
* Network Adapter

A point value gets assigned to each category. Change too much & re-
activation will be required, but it's easy to deal with.

Many moons ago I had the list of actual point values for each category,
but can't find it now. I do know that MS clears their records of WPA
every 120 days.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

DrTeeth
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:05:37 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
a1pcfixer disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>But what you did was an image re-install to the same PC from which the
>image was created with basicly the same hardware.

No, there were enough changes (CPU and motherboard/memory) for product
activation to be required at each hardware swap. There is no half-way
house. Product activation is either triggered or it is not. I went
though at least 6 (free) reactivation calls to MSoft. I did not
re-image, I used the same H/D each time. I was just commenting on how
easy and totally painless the reactivations were. I had heard that
there was some sort of limit, but on some occasions (IIRC) some extra
information needed to be entered - all of which was to hand.

>I'm inquiring about say you trying to put your PC's image (IFW?)
>into a VM on my PC, which it's a given would definitely have drastically
>different hardware.

See above.

If the above comes across as arsey, it is not meant to be .
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
a1pcfixer
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 am

Re: procedure for restoring to a virtual machine

Post by a1pcfixer »

DrTeeth,

> I was just commenting on how
> easy and totally painless the reactivations were.

I know that and which is not the core focus of my discussion with 'PP'.

> See above.

Again, the process of activation/re-activation is not the core focus here, but rather a TB image restored to
a VM on a different PC. Would THAT require activation, not how easy activation is nor it's process. IOW, is
WinXp/Vista/Win 7 within a VM immune to altered HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer)? Which 'PP' and I now have
cleared up.

Is that any clearer?

> If the above comes across as arsey, it is not meant to be

Yeah I know, maybe we're just speaking different languages.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

Post Reply