BIBM vs Bootit-UEFI on new laptop - which one?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: BIBM vs Bootit-UEFI on new laptop - which one?

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
>
> If you want to copy your Win10 partition to create an identical Win10 is even easier.
> Do the copy in BIU Partition Work, click Add to Boot Menu and a Boot Item will be
> created.

OK, thanks. I'll try that when I have time to again convert the partition, etc.
luca.rings

Post by luca.rings »

Sorry but how i can start a Windows installation under UEFI mode ?
I just tried many many times but every time NO setup
I'm using BI UEFI woth GPT partition, I created an USB windows installation via Rufus with GPT option for UEFI, but setup dosen't start :evil:
Also if i'm creating a new windows partition from BI UEFI and a new boot menu I Can'T start windows setup, WHY ??
I can understand ...
I also tried to disable BIOS UEFI and an USB with MBR Windows, setup starting in that way but again ERROR "your SSD is in GPT mode Window can't bw isntalled" ! WHY ?? :evil:
I also tried to convert GPT to MBR ... no more boot !

HELP
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:

> If you want to copy your Win10 partition to create an identical Win10 is even easier.
> Do the copy in BIU Partition Work, click Add to Boot Menu and a Boot Item will be
> created.

That worked (though it took several hours to very slowly copy the partition).

However, I soon discovered that if I later copy the partition containing the first instance of Windows 10 to the partition containing the second instance (or restore an image to the first to the second), the second boot item no longer works.

Some how I stumbled across the fact that Device and OS Device in the BCD get blanked during the copy or restore. I can edit the BCD to restore those values. Then it works again.

Any comments on this will be welcome, but, for now, due to this issue and others recently reported/discussed in other threads, I've gone back to EMBR and BIBM. For me, at this point, there are too many things that are unpredictable in the GPT and BIU environment.

There may just be too many things that I don't understand and I have no opinion on where the fault may lie, but the combination of GPT and BIU feels like a bug ridden, unstable, error prone environment.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

My 5 year old motherboard failed during BIU beta testing. I replaced it with a modern MB (B360 chipset) and immediately noticed BIU was more stable. BIU is now as stable as BIBM. No issues at all with BIU in my computer.
minimalist

Post by minimalist »

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 07:02:43 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> CyberSimian disturbed my reverie and wrote:
> ...
> >
> >Even if UEFI has a "Hide" flag for each partition, can you really trust
> an OS (especially Windows) not to fiddle with the hidden partitions?
> >
> >For the record, my two Lenovos were each shipped with Windows 10 on a GPT disk
> booting in UEFI mode, but I converted them to EMBR and re-installed Windows 10 (plus
> Windows 7 and Linux).
> >
> >-- from CyberSimian in the UK
>
> Good point that. I learnt very early on that the "hide" flag does not
> work too well. MSoft OSs spray their <crap> everywhere during an
> install. I have even had to exclude my two data drives as an install
> could put stuff on one of them as it is an NTFS disk with the most
> free space.
>
> I wonder how GPT systems will deal with this scenario.
> ...

I have even had MS create an I:\Boot directory on a data drive with little space just (presumably) because there was an I:\Windows directory where temp files lived. And of course the files are owned by super user from a different OS, so I'd need to remove them from linux if I was anal.

Anecdotally, I have one UEFI/GPT computer on which I installed several windows OS's and I don't recall having any problems as long as the Windows boot manager was in its canonical position on the /EFI partition. It was several years ago, so my memory could be faulty.

After a new Windows install with BIBM where nothing goes wroing, you need to reinstall BIBM which requires the flash drive(at least I think this is correct, haven't done a windows install in ages).
[Speculation since I don't have BIU yet] After a new Windows install with BIU where nothing goes wrong, you just need to change the boot order in the startup BIOS.