Page 1 of 1
Compact
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm
by plain
Okay, I have a couple of questions about compacting the partition before creating and image. I searched for any threads but I got the result that "compact" would yield no results because it is "too common" a word?
Anyway, if I defrag the partition with the OS utility does it defrag so that the resulting arrangement is more efficient than it would have been just randomly bunching everything together? The reason I am wondering is because if I choose to compact a partition before creating an image will this reduce the efficiency of the partition when the image is restored?
Also, when choosing compact I am warned that under certain circumstances compact can harm the OS as it is and that I should do a backup. Well, that is what I am trying to do. Is there something here that I`m missing? Is the a very rare occurrence or should I not compact at all? Opinions?
Thanks, Plain
Re: Compact
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 am
by TeraByte Support
compact moves data under a certain range, defrag may not, unless you're
using one that can compact too.
"plain" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Okay, I have a couple of questions about compacting the partition before
creating and image. I searched for any threads but I got the result that
"compact" would yield no results because it is "too common" a word?
Anyway, if I defrag the partition with the OS utility does it defrag so that
the resulting arrangement is more efficient than it would have been just
randomly bunching everything together? The reason I am wondering is because
if I choose to compact a partition before creating an image will this reduce
the efficiency of the partition when the image is restored?
Also, when choosing compact I am warned that under certain circumstances
compact can harm the OS as it is and that I should do a backup. Well, that
is what I am trying to do. Is there something here that I`m missing? Is
the a very rare occurrence or should I not compact at all? Opinions?
Thanks, Plain
Re: Compact
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 pm
by plain
Okay thanks for clarification of the difference between defrag and compact. So what percentage of times does 'compact' mess something up? I had hoped to use 'compact' but I certainly don`t want to risk the OS integrity.
Re: Compact
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Compacting is designed to be data safe and shouldn't result in something getting corrupted. I've used compact numerous times without any problems and don't consider it more risky than a defrag or resize. However, in my opinion, it's best to take precautions when making partitioning changes since there is a possibility that something may go wrong during the procedure (software problem, drive failure, power outage, etc.) -- this is true regardless of the software used.
If you're concerned or the data is valuable, I would recommend creating a backup image of the partition before running compact. Then you can compact it, check it, and create a new backup. Note that it's not generally necessary to compact before creating an image, unless you need it reduced to restore to a smaller drive. It's certainly not something I'd do as part of a regular backup strategy.
Re: Compact
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am
by plain
Okay! Thanks Very Much for your reply. It helped me a lot to understand a little better how I should approach my making images. Have a good Spring and Success To You!
Plain