Major Version 3?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
LittleB

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by LittleB »

I couldn't agree more with you and the other users about 'bloat'. Keeping your product focused
on what it does best is important. I don't think expanding on the scheduler you already have built
into IFW constitutes bloat. It is also easily avoidable for anyone who isn't interested in using it.

Thank you for the response and for considering my suggestion!

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Windows already has an easy to use and flexible scheduler - we tend to not
>
> like to add bloat to users systems. They have a newer interface but you
> basically have to duplicate what that dialog already does for you. But
> overall, we'll look at it again....
>
> "LittleB" wrote in message news:6121@public.image...
>
> TeraByte: What do you think about adding in the scheduling ease of use
> feature I mentioned earlier?
LittleB

Post by LittleB »

Hello Jim.

Thank you for your comment. It is nice to know I'm not all alone on this one. I think a basic/advanced mode would be great.

TeraByte's backup software is perfectly accurate and gives peace of mind not found anywhere else...for technically inclined users.

Having an 'Easy' mode would allow 'regular' people to enjoy the benefits of the program too. As a first step towards that though,
I'd settle for being able to get automated backups scheduled without using a different program or part
of the operating system. :mrgreen:

a1pcfixer wrote:
> LittleB,
>
> > If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in
> a heartbeat.
>
> Perhaps a dual mode version with Basic & Advanced user interface?
>
>Something rather simple, like having a 'basic' mode and an 'advanced' mode....sure would
>boost user base & sales.
> --
>
> Jim L.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Big +10 from me on this...

An advanced Scheduling tab, where you could specify something like:

[x] Full Backup
.....[x] Start new Full Backup set every [7] days
..........[x] Keep [3] Full Backup sets
...............[x] Keep each Full Backup set in separate folder
[x] Run differential backup every [2] hours

LittleB wrote:
> Major Version 3...
>
> Is anyone else out there interested in having IFW easier to use..? Specifically in
> the realm of setting up automatic backups. What I would like to be able to do is
> have Tom Cole's backup script built into IFW. IFW could ask us all the questions the
> script needs answers to and properly configure it to work. Tom, if you are reading
> this...thank you for all the work you put into that script!!!
>
> I've been of the opinion for a long time that IFW would be adopted by many more
> people if they could easily get it to do stuff automatically. People need
> reliability and ease of use these days. I spent several hours working on trying to
> get the script set up to work with my system. I'm technically savvy but don't have
> hours of time to invest in this kind of work. If TeraByte made a 'friendlier'
> version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.
>
> I love how reliable TeraByte's software is...I love the rapid customer service we get
> from them...the only thing that needs true improvement is the interface/ease of use.
> Can you guys imagine this product if they were to make it work as simply as something
> like Rebit? Simplifying the program doesn't have to be done to the exclusion of the
> many advanced features already present. They could co-exist with an 'advanced'
> check-mark or something similar.
>
> Not enough people know how rock-solid reliable this software is. It has saved me on
> many occasions and is why I always come back after trying other backup software. I
> get frustrated when attempting to implement IFW as a complete backup solution. I
> usually only get a single manual backup completed before getting frustrated with the
> steep learning curve of making it work on its own.
>
> I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this...what do y'all think? Any other
> ideas?
>
> tanstaafl wrote:
>
> > Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best practices, do's
> > and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM environments
> (that
> > I can find).
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I too am interested in how Terabyte's backup software works with Virtual Machines.
> This might be better discussed in a new post though.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I would also like to see the GUI of IfW enhanced to enable 'behind the scenes' scripting.

I have had some excellent instruction on writing basic scripts from somebody on this forum and whilst I feel confident to start using scripts, I just do not have the time to devote to the matter and get them honed as I would like.

IIRC, TBU was considering some type of wizard functionality in the past, but it came to nothing. It seems that any extra functionality gets built into the batch file 'language' and not any GUI enhancement - and that is a shame.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Incidentally...

Adding an Advanced Scheduler making it really easy to schedule Full+Differentials (including how many to keep, when to start a new Full, etc) would be a major incentive for people to upgrade to a new major version.

We have 8 licenses, and I know I would upgrade all 8 for such a feature without hesitation...

:)
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:25:18 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
tanstaafl disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Adding an Advanced Scheduler making it really easy to schedule Full+Differentials (including how many to keep, when to start a new Full, etc) would be a major incentive for people to upgrade to a new major version.

Been suggested many times before in one way or another. But the idea
does not seem to have enthused the developers. In the early days,
there was some mention of a backup wizard-type thing to make this sort
of thing easier.

I would also jump at the chance to use this sort of thing.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
LittleB

Post by LittleB »

There seem to be many upsides to adding this kind of functionality.

Maybe the devs are already working to add it in...ya never know! :mrgreen: