Major Version 3?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TeraByte Support

Re: Major Version 3?

Post by TeraByte Support »

yes, it will be just like running on a machine when you run it from within
the vm.

"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:4693@public.image...

TeraByte Support wrote:
> defaults are fine, entire drive backup/entire drive restore. Things
> change
> when you start wanting to backup or restore individual partitions

Hi TeraByte,

Does this also go for 'partitions' in a VM (I use vmWare ESXi)?

I have a new VM environment and just bought 5 new licenses so I can run IFW
on each virtualized server for automated imaging, and want to image each
partition separately.

Will the defaults be fine for such a situation?

Is there any documentation specific to a virtualized environment that you
can point me to?

Thanks

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Can you elaborate please?

You had said that 'things change when you want to backup/restore individual partitions'.

What things? Is this documented/discussed anywhere (I can't find anything on it in the Manual)? And will these same 'things' apply to a machine running in a VM environment, since 'partitions' on a VM are not the same thing as partitions on a standalone box that is not running in a VM?

Also, are there any other concerns with running IFW on a production server that is running as a VM (on ESXi in my case)?

Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best practices, do's and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM environments (that I can find).

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Just realized I never got a follow-up response...

Thanks...
LittleB

Post by LittleB »

Major Version 3...

Is anyone else out there interested in having IFW easier to use..? Specifically in the realm of setting up automatic backups. What I would like to be able to do is have Tom Cole's backup script built into IFW. IFW could ask us all the questions the script needs answers to and properly configure it to work. Tom, if you are reading this...thank you for all the work you put into that script!!!

I've been of the opinion for a long time that IFW would be adopted by many more people if they could easily get it to do stuff automatically. People need reliability and ease of use these days. I spent several hours working on trying to get the script set up to work with my system. I'm technically savvy but don't have hours of time to invest in this kind of work. If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

I love how reliable TeraByte's software is...I love the rapid customer service we get from them...the only thing that needs true improvement is the interface/ease of use. Can you guys imagine this product if they were to make it work as simply as something like Rebit? Simplifying the program doesn't have to be done to the exclusion of the many advanced features already present. They could co-exist with an 'advanced' check-mark or something similar.

Not enough people know how rock-solid reliable this software is. It has saved me on many occasions and is why I always come back after trying other backup software. I get frustrated when attempting to implement IFW as a complete backup solution. I usually only get a single manual backup completed before getting frustrated with the steep learning curve of making it work on its own.

I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this...what do y'all think? Any other ideas?

tanstaafl wrote:

> Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best practices, do's
> and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM environments (that
> I can find).
>
> Thanks.

I too am interested in how Terabyte's backup software works with Virtual Machines. This might be better discussed in a new post though.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

LittleB

Post by LittleB »

Brian K wrote:
> If you are looking for simplicity in automation ....
>
>
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/idx ... duler.html
>
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=295

Thank you for the links, Brian.

I've reviewed them but don't personally consider that 'simplicity'. Most people don't want to mess with the Task Scheduler...I don't know how the other programs work out their scheduling configuration/setup systems. Maybe they use Task Scheduler but if they do, it is hidden from the normal user.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:16:22 PDT, LittleB wrote:

>Major Version 3...
>
>Is anyone else out there interested in having IFW easier to use..? Specifically in the realm of setting up automatic backups. What I would like to be able to do is have Tom Cole's backup script built into IFW. IFW could ask us all the questions the script needs answers to and properly configure it to work. Tom, if you are reading this...thank you for all the work you put into that script!!!
>
>[snip]

You're welcome.

I've had very little feedback on the IFW_Backup batch scripts, so I
would appreciate any comments you may care to make on how they may be
improved, etc. You could do that here, or to my email address which is
in the Read_Me file.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Hi Terabyte,

I'd really appreciate a response - even if the answer is 'No, there is no documentation specific to using IFW for backing up VMs.'...

Thanks

tanstaafl wrote:

<snip>

> Also, are there any other concerns with running IFW on a production server
> that is running as a VM (on ESXi in my case)?
>
> Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best practices,
> do's and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM
> environments (that I can find).
LittleB

Post by LittleB »

TAC109 wrote:
>
> I've had very little feedback on the IFW_Backup batch scripts, so I
>
> would appreciate any comments you may care to make on how they may be
>
> improved, etc. You could do that here, or to my email address which is
>
> in the Read_Me file.
>
>

Tom, I think the work you've done is excellent. I can't speak to specifics yet because I haven't invested the time necessary to get it set up on my system yet. The only improvement I can currently suggest is that Terabyte somehow add it into IFW. Based on their comments in your thread, I think they like what you've done and appreciate the effort you put into it.

I tell ya, if Terabyte does add in this ease of use feature, I'm going to buy another copy just to say thank you. It would be worth it just so I wouldn't have to invest the time in setting it up. :) Plus, I'd have the peace of mind in knowing that they did it. Whenever their program does something, it is done right.

tanstaafl wrote:
> Hi Terabyte,
>
> I'd really appreciate a response - even if the answer is 'No, there is no
> documentation specific to using IFW for backing up VMs.'...
>
> Thanks

I think the answer is 'no' since I haven't found any either. I did back up a VM yesterday though. Win7 on both the host & guest OSs. I did it by logging into the VM and running IFW from within the VM. Did a full image backup to an external HD, logged out and deleted the VM files. (I wanted to create a VM from scratch.)

I created the new VM and then needed a way to launch IFW inside the VM so that I could restore the backup. I used the script/program provided by Terabyte to make an ISO recovery disc (This works really well and is located under the V2 folder. It is called "IFW-Create Recovery Boot Disk". You just right click and tell it to run as an admin.).

Under the new VMware Virtual Machine, I changed the CD-ROM to use an iso file and selected the Terabyte .iso (located on the host). The next time I powered on the VM, it loaded IFW and I went through selecting the external HD with the image and told it to restore. Estimated time was over 3 hours and I haven't had a chance to check to see if it worked or not.

I'll let you know what happens.

Edit: And then I found this post... :lol:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=303

timg11 wrote:
> After further searching, I found the answer here:
> https://communities.vmware.com/thread/3 ... 0&tstart=0
>
>
> In VMware Player, Create a New VM like this
>
> 1 Create new (select a name that is different than the VMDK file you
> are trying to play)
>
> 2 Select how OS is installed, picking "install later".
>
> 3 Select Guest OS as XP (same as previously created VMDK -- xp in my
> case)
>
> 4 Select name and location (as appropriate for the host system)
>
> 5 Select disk size and store as single file
>
> 6 Customize hardware (none)
>
> Once the VM has been created, click on "Edit Virtual Machine
> Settings". You cannot just edit the disk file name even though it
> appears to be an edit box under Hard Disk. Instead, click on Hard Disk in
> the list of devices. At the bottom left, click on Remove to remove the one
> that was created, then Add another one back in (then selecting the VMDK
> file you have created).
>
>
> For others that are trying the same process, it might be helpful to add
> this information to the Knowledgebase:
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=303, or add a new
> Knowledgebase article on running restored virtual machine files in VMWare
> Player.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I prefer IFW to be lean and mean. No added batch files or scheduling.