Windows 7 x64 doesn't boot after restore
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm
I have brand new Lenovo W520 running Windows 7 64-bit. I backed up the factory installation with IFL CUI 2.75 (all partitions including boot, Windows system and Lenovo restore), validated the image (byte-for-byte) and even checked it in TBIView. I'm able to extract files and work the image just fine.
Somehow, I wasn't confident yet, so I restored it to a different hard drive, installed the drive in the laptop and, lo and behold, it won't boot. All I get is a blinking underscore cursor after POST and it just stops there. I tried using the Windows repair disc that I made and it just tells me, "nope no problems here".
I've done this exact same thing with Windows XP (backup image, restore to different drive) and it's always worked perfectly.
I'd really like to migrate my work environment and files over to my new laptop, but I'm pretty much stuck until I know I have a working backup system.
Somehow, I wasn't confident yet, so I restored it to a different hard drive, installed the drive in the laptop and, lo and behold, it won't boot. All I get is a blinking underscore cursor after POST and it just stops there. I tried using the Windows repair disc that I made and it just tells me, "nope no problems here".
I've done this exact same thing with Windows XP (backup image, restore to different drive) and it's always worked perfectly.
I'd really like to migrate my work environment and files over to my new laptop, but I'm pretty much stuck until I know I have a working backup system.