Windows 8 and UEFI
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 am
I use IFW (and IFD on occaision) and store images on a NAS. Using IFD, I store images on an eSATA external drive. I also use BootIt BM, which makes IFD easily available. Should I lose the drive that has the BootIt BM partition, I can boot from the IFD rescue disk or the BootIt BM disk and restore from the eSATA external, and once I get Windows up and running, I can restore the most up to date image from the NAS. Now for my question.
OEM Windows 8 is on UEFI with Secure Boot enabled by default. One must go through the Windows 8 boot menu in order to boot from a CD or USB device. So if Windows 8 pooches and won't boot at all, how does one boot a rescue IFD USB or CD?
A friend with a new HP laptop had such a problem - no boot device. On a reboot, I did get the "Windows has crashed do you need help?" screen, looked at the UEFI options, and there was a warning that if I disabled UEFI windows would not boot. Another reboot and I selected the repair option, and it couldn't. Subsequent reboots got nothing more than "no boot device". I helped her go through the HP support dothistrythattrythistrythattrythisother cluster, and it was determined that the drive was bad and the laptop has been shipped to HP for repair/replacement.
I don't have a problem now, but I would like to know what options are available to boot a rescue USB or CD if Windows 8 won't boot at all.
OEM Windows 8 is on UEFI with Secure Boot enabled by default. One must go through the Windows 8 boot menu in order to boot from a CD or USB device. So if Windows 8 pooches and won't boot at all, how does one boot a rescue IFD USB or CD?
A friend with a new HP laptop had such a problem - no boot device. On a reboot, I did get the "Windows has crashed do you need help?" screen, looked at the UEFI options, and there was a warning that if I disabled UEFI windows would not boot. Another reboot and I selected the repair option, and it couldn't. Subsequent reboots got nothing more than "no boot device". I helped her go through the HP support dothistrythattrythistrythattrythisother cluster, and it was determined that the drive was bad and the laptop has been shipped to HP for repair/replacement.
I don't have a problem now, but I would like to know what options are available to boot a rescue USB or CD if Windows 8 won't boot at all.