TBIREST.EXE failing with Errors 12 or 66 when restoring
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 am
I have a Windows 7 system on a single partition that I have performed a Sysprep on and then backed up using Image For Dos. I am then attempting to use TBIREST.EXE in a script from bootable media to restore the system image to a hard drive on a different PC with identical hardware (as part of a standardised image deployment during production). I've left a 500MB buffer of free space at the end of the drive to account for hard drive size discrepancies (I've noticed a 30MB discrepancy between two drives that are the same 1TB model).
If I omit the "/clr" flag from the TBIREST.EXE command line, the program bombs with error code 12 when I don't delete existing partitions on the HDD using a tool like fdisk. Without /uy flag the error is "Target location would overlap existing partitions". What would cause this error?
In the past on the same hardware but a different .TBI when I've included the "/clr" flag the program has bombed on some machines with error code 66 - without /uy the error is something like "The MBR is corrupt or cannot be updated" (don't have exact text sorry).
My (limited) understanding of the way Image4Dos works is that regardless of whether I select Drive + Partition 01 or just Partition 01 for HD0 when doing the backup, the full MBR is stored in the .TBI (including partition table). When I do the restore is there a difference based on what option I chose? (Eg in one case does it attempt to merge partition tables and in another it clears it?)
Is there a recommended way of restoring via TBIREST.EXE in this situation where hard drives may differ in size and the drives may have existing partitions on them (that I want to overwrite)?
If I omit the "/clr" flag from the TBIREST.EXE command line, the program bombs with error code 12 when I don't delete existing partitions on the HDD using a tool like fdisk. Without /uy flag the error is "Target location would overlap existing partitions". What would cause this error?
In the past on the same hardware but a different .TBI when I've included the "/clr" flag the program has bombed on some machines with error code 66 - without /uy the error is something like "The MBR is corrupt or cannot be updated" (don't have exact text sorry).
My (limited) understanding of the way Image4Dos works is that regardless of whether I select Drive + Partition 01 or just Partition 01 for HD0 when doing the backup, the full MBR is stored in the .TBI (including partition table). When I do the restore is there a difference based on what option I chose? (Eg in one case does it attempt to merge partition tables and in another it clears it?)
Is there a recommended way of restoring via TBIREST.EXE in this situation where hard drives may differ in size and the drives may have existing partitions on them (that I want to overwrite)?