Hibernation corruption on Windows 8
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am
So of course I didn't pay attention, and installed Windows 8 without disabling Fast Startup, either in Windows 8 itself or in BIBM (actually I used an older version of BIBM that does not have this feature). However I am thinking that I may yet be able to avert disaster.
I have a system with an OS disk HD0, which uses unlimited primaries, and that contains all my OS's (currently just Win7 and Win8 on this machine) and a data disk HD1 that contains data shared between the OS's. On HD0, for each OS, only one partition is present, the rest are hidden.
I started with just one Windows 7 partition and then, following my usual methodology, I created a new partition for Win8 on HD0, hid the data disk HD1, installed a sacrificial copy of Vista, and then did a clean install of the $39.00 Windows 8 upgrade. Then I reinstated BIBM and un-hid the data disk. I worked in Windows 8 for a while, probably restarting it and/or shutting it down several times.
So far, so good, I think. But next I used BIBM to boot Windows 7 (I have not booted Windows 8 since then). What I cannot remember is whether I exited Windows 8 the last time using Shutdown or Restart. Probably Restart, in which I think everything should be fine, because Restart does not use hibernation.
So let's suppose I did a Shutdown (how could I tell?). Is there some way that I can prevent Windows 8 from restarting itself using the hiberfil.sys file? For example:
1. Install later version of BIBM and disable Fast Startup. Obviously I should do this anyway, but will it prevent Windows 8 from using the hiberfil.sys file on restart?
2. Manually delete hyberfil.sys in the Win8 partition without starting Windows 8 (how would I do this?).
3. Boot with the Win8 disk and do some kind of Repair install.
4. Suppose I just use BIBM to hide the data partition before booting into Windows 8. Would that work? Or failing that, remove the disk from the machine.
But here's a scary thought. I have another Windows 7 machine in my house which works as HTPC and server. And the Win7 and Win8 on the first machine both use this server. Could this hibernation on shutdown feature corrupt the disks on the networked machine?
I have a system with an OS disk HD0, which uses unlimited primaries, and that contains all my OS's (currently just Win7 and Win8 on this machine) and a data disk HD1 that contains data shared between the OS's. On HD0, for each OS, only one partition is present, the rest are hidden.
I started with just one Windows 7 partition and then, following my usual methodology, I created a new partition for Win8 on HD0, hid the data disk HD1, installed a sacrificial copy of Vista, and then did a clean install of the $39.00 Windows 8 upgrade. Then I reinstated BIBM and un-hid the data disk. I worked in Windows 8 for a while, probably restarting it and/or shutting it down several times.
So far, so good, I think. But next I used BIBM to boot Windows 7 (I have not booted Windows 8 since then). What I cannot remember is whether I exited Windows 8 the last time using Shutdown or Restart. Probably Restart, in which I think everything should be fine, because Restart does not use hibernation.
So let's suppose I did a Shutdown (how could I tell?). Is there some way that I can prevent Windows 8 from restarting itself using the hiberfil.sys file? For example:
1. Install later version of BIBM and disable Fast Startup. Obviously I should do this anyway, but will it prevent Windows 8 from using the hiberfil.sys file on restart?
2. Manually delete hyberfil.sys in the Win8 partition without starting Windows 8 (how would I do this?).
3. Boot with the Win8 disk and do some kind of Repair install.
4. Suppose I just use BIBM to hide the data partition before booting into Windows 8. Would that work? Or failing that, remove the disk from the machine.
But here's a scary thought. I have another Windows 7 machine in my house which works as HTPC and server. And the Win7 and Win8 on the first machine both use this server. Could this hibernation on shutdown feature corrupt the disks on the networked machine?