Page 1 of 1

Copy two partitions on Win7 to new drive

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 pm
by ccrider
I've used Image4DOS on XP for years with the defaults, never referred to the manual...just worked. Saved me on one occasion :D

A year ago, I upgraded a Sony Vaio to Win7 using a new WD15EARS drive. Needless to say it's rather slow. Recently, on a whim, I purchased a Seagate XT Momentus 750GB drive and I'd like to copy my reserved and boot partitions (ONLY...leaving the data partitions where they are) to this new drive.
Perhaps this isn't possible; can't get it to work, comes up with a cursor flashing in the left corner about an inch down. In another attempt, I got the "BOOTMGR missing" error, another a "replace media with bootable .....". Reading the manual only tells me I know absolutely nothing about Windows 7 drive setup....not that I know a lot about XP's architecture.

Understanding the 'Options', and when to use them seems to be my biggest problem.

I'm running the GUI interface from a floppy---
Do both partitions need to be set active?
Do I copy the 'reserved' partition first, then the 'boot'?
What type of partition do I create? Primary or primary/extended ... Or both? .... Do I create any?
Should I using any of the other check boxes?

Can anyone share a few tips to point me in the right direction?

Sorry I'm such a Newb,
Thanks in advance,

Re: Copy two partitions on Win7 to new drive

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:15 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
When copying the partitions separately, copy the System Reserved partition first (use the "Set Active" and "Write Standard MBR Code" options), then copy the Windows 7 partition and select the "Update Boot Partition" option (don't use "Set Active"). Both partitions are normally Primary and you shouldn't need to create them first. After doing the copy, change the BIOS boot order so the new drive is first.

Re: Copy two partitions on Win7 to new drive

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 am
by ccrider
Paul... Thanks....So far so good.
Really appreciate the quick response.

May You and Yours have a very Blessed Christmas,
Chris