Feature suggestion - better support for multi-core CPUs
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 pm
I was reviewing different modern backup software lately, and IFW appears to be one of the best ones.
However, I couldn't help but notice that it seem to have poor multi-threading support - I hardly ever seen more than 1-1.5 cores load.
On high-performance laptop with quad core Intel Ivy Bridge CPU I've tested, to achieve full backup speed with external HDD (about 80Mb/sec), I had to switch to lower compression "Enhanced Speed - A". With default compression setting, backup was clearly bottlenecked by CPU with write speeds about 40Mb/sec (but still, about 1 core was actually loaded, so lot of spare CPU power was available, but unused).
Using multiple cores on multi-core CPU could provide a lot more power for compression - this could allow using for more aggressive compression without sacrificing backup performance, allowing potentially to store more backups in given storage space and even further increasing backup performance (due to less data need to be actually written for amount of data backed up).
It would be great if Terabyte could add such feature to future versions of Image.
However, I couldn't help but notice that it seem to have poor multi-threading support - I hardly ever seen more than 1-1.5 cores load.
On high-performance laptop with quad core Intel Ivy Bridge CPU I've tested, to achieve full backup speed with external HDD (about 80Mb/sec), I had to switch to lower compression "Enhanced Speed - A". With default compression setting, backup was clearly bottlenecked by CPU with write speeds about 40Mb/sec (but still, about 1 core was actually loaded, so lot of spare CPU power was available, but unused).
Using multiple cores on multi-core CPU could provide a lot more power for compression - this could allow using for more aggressive compression without sacrificing backup performance, allowing potentially to store more backups in given storage space and even further increasing backup performance (due to less data need to be actually written for amount of data backed up).
It would be great if Terabyte could add such feature to future versions of Image.