restoring to Linux encrypted drive
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm
I did a complete (bit for bit) backup of a 40 GB disk, on which I have installed Linux Lubuntu with whole disk encryption. The file system on this disk is encrypted with LUKS and it uses a LVM. It was described like this: "The method shown here creates a LUKS-encrypted hard disk partition and uses LVM to create logical partitions within the encrypted physical partition for swap, root, and /home. The encrypted partition is unlocked at boot time by GRUB running from a separate, unencrypted /boot partition."
Now I want to test the restoration procedure using IFL by booting into the IFL CD environment. During the procedure for restoring the data, when I get to the point of "Select Restore Location on HD1...", I am presented with three options, which look like these:
MBR 0 Partition(01) 214 MiB Linux Native
MBR 1 Partition(02) 37950 MiB Extended
m &q `: $Y]/Voq9 : Volume (0207) 37950 MiB Linux Native
When I look at these it is not perfectly clear which "location" to select for restoring to. I am inclined to assume that the first one is the unencrypted boot partition for this file system, that is the one that Grub chains to. I am inclined to assume, again without 100% certainty, that the second one is the physically encrypted disk data; and that the third one is, well, the logically abstracted recognized file system, although frankly I am not much sure of what that third one is, to be honest. In any case, I am now presented with this scenario, and I am wondering which of these I should select as the restoration location. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
Now I want to test the restoration procedure using IFL by booting into the IFL CD environment. During the procedure for restoring the data, when I get to the point of "Select Restore Location on HD1...", I am presented with three options, which look like these:
MBR 0 Partition(01) 214 MiB Linux Native
MBR 1 Partition(02) 37950 MiB Extended
m &q `: $Y]/Voq9 : Volume (0207) 37950 MiB Linux Native
When I look at these it is not perfectly clear which "location" to select for restoring to. I am inclined to assume that the first one is the unencrypted boot partition for this file system, that is the one that Grub chains to. I am inclined to assume, again without 100% certainty, that the second one is the physically encrypted disk data; and that the third one is, well, the logically abstracted recognized file system, although frankly I am not much sure of what that third one is, to be honest. In any case, I am now presented with this scenario, and I am wondering which of these I should select as the restoration location. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.