Page 1 of 2

Partition ID

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:40 am
by Bob Coleman
When using IFD from the command line or in a script to create an image the partition to be backed up is identified by a Partition ID.

I have two primary partitions containing Windows 7. For as long as I can remember, one of these partitions had an ID of 0A and the other 0B.

I have many times within Partition Work deleted the 0B partition and then copied the 0A partition to the resulting free space. This has resulted in that space again containing a partition with ID 0B.

Last night, I reversed the process: deleted the 0A partition and copied the 0B partition to the resulting free space.

After by backup script failed, I discovered that where the partition with ID 0A used to be there was now a partition with ID 0C.

What creates these IDs? Why does copying partition with ID 0A to space formerly occupied by partition with ID 0B again result in partition with ID 0B whereas copying partition with ID 0B to space formerly occupied by partition with ID 0A effectively changes the ID from 0A to 0C?

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 am
by TeraByte Support
it tries to copy the id, if in use, moves to the next unused one.

"Bob Coleman" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

When using IFD from the command line or in a script to create an image the
partition to be backed up is identified by a Partition ID.

I have two primary partitions containing Windows 7. For as long as I can
remember, one of these partitions had an ID of 0A and the other 0B.

I have many times within Partition Work deleted the 0B partition and then
copied the 0A partition to the resulting free space. This has resulted in
that space again containing a partition with ID 0B.

Last night, I reversed the process: deleted the 0A partition and copied the
0B partition to the resulting free space.

After by backup script failed, I discovered that where the partition with ID
0A used to be there was now a partition with ID 0C.

What creates these IDs? Why does copying partition with ID 0A to space
formerly occupied by partition with ID 0B again result in partition with ID
0B whereas copying partition with ID 0B to space formerly occupied by
partition with ID 0A effectively changes the ID from 0A to 0C?


Re: Partition ID

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 pm
by Bob Coleman
So if I copy what's now C, the copy will become D?

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:31 pm
by Bob Coleman
Bob Coleman wrote:
> So if I copy what's now C, the copy will become D?

I answered my own question. Yes, though, in the meantime deleting the partition and copying to it via Disk Imaging created the ID 80!

I'd still like to better understand these IDs? Are they created/assigned by IFD and/or some other Terabyte software? Do they have any relevance outside IFD and/or Terabyte software?

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm
by Brian K
Bob,

Check the documentation on EMBR (in the zip file). You can change your IDs if your wish.

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 pm
by Bob Coleman
Brian K wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Check the documentation on EMBR (in the zip file). You can change your IDs
> if your wish.

Thanks for that reference. I can't say I completely understand it (yet?), but I appreciate the pointer.

It seems at this point, it's easier to just get used to the new IDs.

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:28 pm
by Brian K
Yes, get used to what you have or change them to another number. For example, if your partitions are on HD0 and the IDs of 01and 02 are not in use you could use...

embr 0 pid 0x0A 0x01

embr 0 pid 0x0B 0x02

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 am
by Bob Coleman
This has become just a matter of academic curiosity now, but it appears that embr.exe will not run on 64-bit Windows.

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:04 am
by Brian K
You run it from DOS, TBOS or in BIBM.

Re: Partition ID

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 pm
by Bob Coleman
Brian K wrote:
> You run it from DOS, TBOS or in BIBM.

OK, I figured out how to run it in BIBM and it did exactly what you said it would. Thanks.

Where did you find that command? I found an embr.txt with the embr.exe in the embr.zip. It gives various "deployment scenarios", but nothing I could find that approximates an embr command reference.