Old Image on floppy disk or CD

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
francoduina

Old Image on floppy disk or CD

Post by francoduina »

Many many years ago I bought Image for DOS and used it so often. It's the release that originally was recorded on floppy disk and later on CD. It worked flawlessly so many times. Now I reformatted the hard disk, partitioned the way I always do, installed Windows 7, installed all programs, and copied all my data. Then I tried to create an image. But once I restarted the computer from the CD with Image and the first window came out (Create an Image/Restore... etc.) the keyboard did not respond. I tried that several times.
I do not expect you to help me in that, but who knows.

I have a question: I loved the fact that with Image for Dos I created the image while the hard disk was resting. I wonder if your new Image for Dos works from the hard disk or from a CD.

Thanks

Gianfranco Duina :mrgreen:
Bob Coleman

Re: Old Image on floppy disk or CD

Post by Bob Coleman »

The current Image for Dos is included with BootIt Bare Metal which can be installed to the hard disk. Even if you invoke the Image for Dos tbat's included in BootIt Bare Metal, it (the included Image for DOS) reboots the PC and creates the image while nothing else is running.

However, you can create an Image for Dos CD and run from that.

My only experience with Image for Dos is with the one that comes with BootIt Bare Metal, but I have little doubt that Image for Dos obtained without BootIt Bare Metal would also boot from CD.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:18:19 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Even if you invoke the Image for Dos tbat's included in BootIt Bare Metal, it (the included Image for DOS) reboots the PC and creates the image while nothing else is running.
?
Are you saying that IfD in BIBM is accessible from Windows? In all the
time I have used IfD in BIBM, I have never had nor needed a reboot.
--

Cheers

DrT
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:18:19 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >Even if you invoke the Image for Dos tbat's included in BootIt Bare Metal,
> it (the included Image for DOS) reboots the PC and creates the image while
> nothing else is running.
> ?
> Are you saying that IfD in BIBM is accessible from Windows? In all the
> time I have used IfD in BIBM, I have never had nor needed a reboot.
> --
>
> Cheers
>
> DrT
> ______________________________
> We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
> our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
> to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Well, I wasn't intending to say that. Upon re-reading, I'd say I misspoke.

For the benefit of the original poster, let me try to be more accurate. The original poster asked if IFD runs from the hard disk or from a CD. I probably should have said either. I guess it's accurate to say that the copy included in BIBM runs from hard disk since a CD is not required to run it, but it certainly does not run from Windows.

One has to reboot only in the sense that if Windows is running, a reboot is required to access BIBM and via it IFD, but my previous statement that IFD reboots the PC is not correct.

Trying to interpret the original post, I think that poster probably wanted to know if a current IFD runs within or independent of Windows. The simple answer would probably have been that IFD is not an application that runs while Windows is running.

Thanks for forcing me to reconsider and be more accurate in my explanation.\

PS. One can use BootNow from Windows in conjunction with scripting to reboot the PC and run IFD, but that's still not IFD rebooting the PC.

PPS. Given the right parameters, IFD actually can cause a reboot after creating an image, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the original question.
desheikh

Post by desheikh »

I created the image while the hard disk was resting. I wonder if your new Image for Dos works from the hard disk or from a CD.
Last edited by desheikh on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

See previous post by me. However that's really oriented toward the combination of BIBM and IFD. Since this is in the "Image for DOS/Linux/Windows" forum, you may neither have nor want BIBM. In that case, the correct answer would be "from CD".
lucylee378

Post by lucylee378 »

Are you saying that IfD in BIBM is accessible from Windows?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

lucylee378 wrote:
> Are you saying that IfD in BIBM is accessible from Windows?

I'm not sure why this question is being asked here now. If it's directed to me, the proper answer is no, though I may have accidentally implied yes in one of the posts above. That was corrected in a subsequent post.