W8 corruption revisited
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 pm
After installing W8 RTM I tested the corruption issue addressed earlier here (** UPDATE: ** NTFS corruption" - about four pages back) and in TB's IFW sticky. FAST START UP is not enabled.
IFW is installed on two drives, one loaded with W7 and the other with W8.
Prior to imaging the integrity of both drives was verified: "not dirty." When W8 is imaged from the W8 drive then restored via the W7 drive, it still corrupts the NTFS on the W8 partition.
If W8 is imaged from the W7 drive and then restored, all is well. In the past, partitions on both drives occasionally became corrupt - a real mess. Not in several tests today.
Win 7, on the other hand, restores without corruption even if imaged from within its own drive.
No big deal here. As a long-term IFW user and supporter, I am aware of this group and workarounds. While not fully comprehending the technicalities, I understand that the problem stems from changes in W8 made by Microsoft.
But I voice a concern that new buyers, running W8, will see the claim that IFW can image while its partition is in use and then, upon restore, be unhappily surprised...
and not know about CHKDSK, which usually restores the file system to a usable state yet may leave some files hosed. Perhaps that claim should no longer be made until the situation can be resolved.
IFW is installed on two drives, one loaded with W7 and the other with W8.
Prior to imaging the integrity of both drives was verified: "not dirty." When W8 is imaged from the W8 drive then restored via the W7 drive, it still corrupts the NTFS on the W8 partition.
If W8 is imaged from the W7 drive and then restored, all is well. In the past, partitions on both drives occasionally became corrupt - a real mess. Not in several tests today.
Win 7, on the other hand, restores without corruption even if imaged from within its own drive.
No big deal here. As a long-term IFW user and supporter, I am aware of this group and workarounds. While not fully comprehending the technicalities, I understand that the problem stems from changes in W8 made by Microsoft.
But I voice a concern that new buyers, running W8, will see the claim that IFW can image while its partition is in use and then, upon restore, be unhappily surprised...
and not know about CHKDSK, which usually restores the file system to a usable state yet may leave some files hosed. Perhaps that claim should no longer be made until the situation can be resolved.