If something is hitting your drives hard it will slow down the backup as
well as other IO (indexing for example). If there are any media issues
starting that will also slow things down as the drive takes longer to
respond.
"adx" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
The same here. Apologies if there is a newer thread on this subject, but my
computer is going too slow to browse for it

I am backing up from an internal magnetic drive to an external USB3 drive.
HDtune transfer rates are somewhere around 90 & 110 MB/s respectively, the
internal drive does drop as the test progresses as usual, but not to less
than 50%. Windows XP is running off a SSD, which usually transfers somewhere
around 200MB/s. It's running on an i7 (8 cores with HT), max RAM. NOD32
antivirus, but nothng else intrusive to the filesystem that I can think of.
Imagew 2.83, I've just upgraded from 2.22 where I've never noticed that
problem before, though don't read too much into that.
With compression turned to fast A, the Image backup started fine at peaks of
70MB/s (written), then visibly drops over a few mins, I assumed due to inner
tracks at first. But it just drops lower and lower, initially I thought this
might be due to compression or IO throttling (which I then turned off and
left off) so abandoned a few backups. But this morning about 280GB into a
750GB disk after 10 hours it's down to 4MB/s with frequent big gaps of
nothing, all the while the system is running like treacle, HDtune gives me
something like 1MB/s off the SSD now, which drops to zero with tiny spikes.
Transfer rate is continuing to drop and I assume the 7 hours to complete wil
never reduce, so I'd better abandon it before the system crashes and I lose
any Pylock data (never had a data loss problem).
But before I do, task manager says Image's CPU has risen to 9% (from 4),
System is using 13% (ie all of one of the 4 physical cores). I can't get
much more useful info out of Process Explorer, although it's just SYSTEM and
services.exe doign a lot of kernel stuff from what I could see.
I'll revert to 2.22 and if I have any astounding insight's I'll post them
here.
CPU usage is about 4% (ie about 30% of a physical core).