Where to store image files
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm
I would like opinions on the following choice.
I set up my friends laptop to use the following partitioning scheme:
10 GB V Virtual (for pagefile)
40 GB C System
600 GB D Data
50 GB Z Recovery (for system images and documentation)
(sizes approximate)
Now he's outgrown the 40GB and I need to repartition. I'm thinking of 100GB for Win7 on the C drive. However my other problem is that the size of system images means that the 50GB recovery partition Z can only store one current image and the original setup image. So I also need to expand Z.
So I'm thinking of scrapping the Z drive and just storing images on a separate folder in D (which will now be approx 590GB), rather than just increasing Z at the expense of drive D. Then I don't have to worry about running out of space on Z until the whole physical disc becomes inadequate.
Is there any downside to doing this bearing in mind that now there will be a number of large 4GB files (images are limited to 4GB chunks so they can be backed up on a FAT32 external drive). Will the access to everyday document files on D be slowed down? Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?
Any opinions will be gratefully received.
I set up my friends laptop to use the following partitioning scheme:
10 GB V Virtual (for pagefile)
40 GB C System
600 GB D Data
50 GB Z Recovery (for system images and documentation)
(sizes approximate)
Now he's outgrown the 40GB and I need to repartition. I'm thinking of 100GB for Win7 on the C drive. However my other problem is that the size of system images means that the 50GB recovery partition Z can only store one current image and the original setup image. So I also need to expand Z.
So I'm thinking of scrapping the Z drive and just storing images on a separate folder in D (which will now be approx 590GB), rather than just increasing Z at the expense of drive D. Then I don't have to worry about running out of space on Z until the whole physical disc becomes inadequate.
Is there any downside to doing this bearing in mind that now there will be a number of large 4GB files (images are limited to 4GB chunks so they can be backed up on a FAT32 external drive). Will the access to everyday document files on D be slowed down? Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?
Any opinions will be gratefully received.