Trouble Copying Main Drive/Boot Drive
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm
I have an 80Gb older generation SSD (Intel X2) that has been my primary drive (C:) for that last year or so. It was getting full so I decided to buy a 128Gb Samsung830 to replace this drive. I am trying to use Image for Dos to clone the old SSD to the new SSD, so that I can unplug the IntelX2 and run everything off the new Samsung.
So far I have tried twice, and while both times the copy works fine, I cannot boot off the new drive. All the System files are there, but it wont boot. So I am sure that I am either clicking or not clicking some option related to boot files or the boot manager, which I admittedly dont really understand. If you look in Disc Manager, the old Intel drive has 2 partitions, 1 labeled C: that is 75Gb, and another that says "System Reserved" that is 100MB. This small partition did not have a drive letter originally, but see below.
With the first attempt, I tried to copy just the large C: partition. I unfortubately do not remember which options i used. When I booted from the new copy it never got out of the BIOS and I got the message "Boot MGR is missing". I thought perhaps there were boot files on that small partition, so the second time I copied the whole drive (both partitions). The options I used were:
Scale to Fit
Validate Byte for Byte
Change Disk Signature
Write Standard MBR Code
Any that were on by default, not sure I unclicked anything
When I booted off the new drive it worked, but Windows labeled the new drive (H:). This made me worried that I wasnt actually booting from it, so I unplugged that old Intel drive and tried to boot from the new Samsung again. At that time I got to a Windows error screen saying that there is a problem with the install, and that I need to put my Windows CD and try to repair. I haven't tried the windows CD, and decided to ask. At this point I was nervous that I was crossing up the drives, and that Windows was using files on both drives. So I unplugged the new Samsung, reconnected the old Intel, and booted. Everything is back to normal, except that now windows is assigning that small 'System Reserved' partition on the Intel drive letter E: (it was always invisible before), and my Intel drive has gone from Disk 0 to Disk 2 in Disk Management. Things are functioning fine, though.
I will stop with that. All I want to do is clone the old drive to the new drive, preferably only in a single partition, so that I can disconnect the old drive, boot from the new and Windows look exactly the same while having more space on C:. I could obviously just do a fresh windows install, but cloning it over seems like a much easier solution. Any advice would be very much appreciated, and sorry for my ignorance.
So far I have tried twice, and while both times the copy works fine, I cannot boot off the new drive. All the System files are there, but it wont boot. So I am sure that I am either clicking or not clicking some option related to boot files or the boot manager, which I admittedly dont really understand. If you look in Disc Manager, the old Intel drive has 2 partitions, 1 labeled C: that is 75Gb, and another that says "System Reserved" that is 100MB. This small partition did not have a drive letter originally, but see below.
With the first attempt, I tried to copy just the large C: partition. I unfortubately do not remember which options i used. When I booted from the new copy it never got out of the BIOS and I got the message "Boot MGR is missing". I thought perhaps there were boot files on that small partition, so the second time I copied the whole drive (both partitions). The options I used were:
Scale to Fit
Validate Byte for Byte
Change Disk Signature
Write Standard MBR Code
Any that were on by default, not sure I unclicked anything
When I booted off the new drive it worked, but Windows labeled the new drive (H:). This made me worried that I wasnt actually booting from it, so I unplugged that old Intel drive and tried to boot from the new Samsung again. At that time I got to a Windows error screen saying that there is a problem with the install, and that I need to put my Windows CD and try to repair. I haven't tried the windows CD, and decided to ask. At this point I was nervous that I was crossing up the drives, and that Windows was using files on both drives. So I unplugged the new Samsung, reconnected the old Intel, and booted. Everything is back to normal, except that now windows is assigning that small 'System Reserved' partition on the Intel drive letter E: (it was always invisible before), and my Intel drive has gone from Disk 0 to Disk 2 in Disk Management. Things are functioning fine, though.
I will stop with that. All I want to do is clone the old drive to the new drive, preferably only in a single partition, so that I can disconnect the old drive, boot from the new and Windows look exactly the same while having more space on C:. I could obviously just do a fresh windows install, but cloning it over seems like a much easier solution. Any advice would be very much appreciated, and sorry for my ignorance.