Page 1 of 1

Is this do-able?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm
by DrTeeth
Is it possible to create a dual boot IfD/IfL boot disc and select
which one boots by using a menu?
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 pm
by TeraByte Support
Any CD boot utility should be able to take each iso and put it on one disk.
TeraByte doesn't have one currently although I've thought about creating
one.


"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Is it possible to create a dual boot IfD/IfL boot disc and select
which one boots by using a menu?
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).


Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 am
by TAC109
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:29:26 PDT, DrTeeth
wrote:

>Is it possible to create a dual boot IfD/IfL boot disc and select
>which one boots by using a menu?

Certainly. I use Grub4DOS.

My 'Boot Tools' disk has the following menu items:
PLOP (a fast USB boot loader)
BartPE
SpinRite
Image for Linux - Graphic
Image for Linux - Character
Bootit Bare Metal
Bootit NG
CopyWipe
Memory Test
Password Changer
MS DOS 98SE
Drive Fitness Test

(IFD is included in the BiBM ISO)

Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:57 pm
by DrTeeth
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:25:46 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Tom Cole disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

>Certainly. I use Grub4DOS.

I did some Googling earlier on and found http://www.sarducd.it/ ,
which looks as if it could fit the bill. It seems to use the ISOs
without having to 'extract' them. Will read up on grub4dos. Thanks for
the pointer. Any links that you have found useful would be grateful,
even though I have found a fair few already :-).
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 pm
by TAC109
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:57:44 PDT, DrTeeth
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:25:46 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
>Tom Cole
>
> disturbed my reverie and
>wrote:
>
>>Certainly. I use Grub4DOS.
>
>I did some Googling earlier on and found http://www.sarducd.it/ ,
>which looks as if it could fit the bill. It seems to use the ISOs
>without having to 'extract' them. Will read up on grub4dos. Thanks for
>the pointer. Any links that you have found useful would be grateful,
>even though I have found a fair few already :-).

Several years ago there was a post in the old version of these forums
from 'mudcrab' giving this link:-
http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_grub4dos.php

This got me started down the Grub4DOS path.

I found these other resources:-

Guide - http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/Grub4dos.htm

Latest Downloads -
http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list

Forum with a wealth of information - http://reboot.pro/forum/66/

To format the flash drive to make it bootable I use fbinst rather than
grubinst, as the resulting flash drive seems to boot on a wider
selection of computers. (Google 'fbinst grub4dos' for more info.)

You can create your menu by setting up a simple text file with entries
such as:
title 4 Image for Linux - Character
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /isos/ifl.ISO
map /isos/ifl.ISO (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

You can also load from Floppy images thus:
title 10 MS DOS 98SE
errorcheck off
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
errorcheck on
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /isos/msdos98s.img
map /isos/msdos98s.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)

Or load from hard disk:
title 0 Existing Windows (Hard Disk)
errorcheck off
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
errorcheck on
chainloader (hd0)+1

There was a bit of a learning curve with Grub4DOS, but I like the
flexibility of being able to load from a variety of sources, and other
facilities such as being able to load a compressed image, having
sub-menus, and being able to set default menu items with timeouts.

Also my one-menu system works without alteration when run from either
CD or Flash Drive.

Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 pm
by DrTeeth
Tom,

Thank you most sincerely for providing such a long, comprehensive and
helpful post. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Re: Is this do-able?

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 am
by TAC109
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:47:40 PDT, DrTeeth
wrote:

>Tom,
>
>Thank you most sincerely for providing such a long, comprehensive and
>helpful post. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

You're welcome