Page 1 of 1
IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 pm
by engineerguy3809
Win XP-Pro SP3.
While starting an image of a 1.5TB, 3-partition drive (entire drive + MBR Image), I received the following error message.
Unable to start PHYLock for Drive C D E
You may need to reduce the cache size.
Can someone clarify what I need to do?
I've been using IFW/IFD for about 5 years and have never seen this before.
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 pm
by engineerguy3809
Follow-up to my original posting
Under "Settings", I found the "PHYLock Settings"
If my error is related to "Disk Cache Size MB", the original setting indicated 600.
I tried reducing it to 500 and 400 and got the same error each time.
I also tried increasing it to 700 and also got the same error.
I've used IFW for years and never got this error before.
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:35 pm
by TeraByte Support
Look in ifw.log then see this article:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=551
"engineerguy3809" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Follow-up to my original posting
Under "Settings", I found the "PHYLock Settings"
If my error is related to "Disk Cache Size MB", the original setting
indicated 600.
I tried reducing it to 500 and 400 and got the same error each time.
I also tried increasing it to 700 and also got the same error.
I've used IFW for years and never got this error before.
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 am
by engineerguy3809
Log file notes:
Operation Completed with Error Code 68
I don't see reference to that error code in either
"Understanding PHYLock Errors"
or
"Introduction to PHYLock"
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:46 am
by TeraByte Support
that's the error code, not the phylock error .. it will say "PHYLock Error:"
...
you need a more current version for it to show, if your version is a year
old then you may not have it.
"engineerguy3809" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Log file notes:
Operation Completed with Error Code 68
I don't see reference to that error code in either
"Understanding PHYLock Errors"
or
"Introduction to PHYLock"
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 am
by engineerguy3809
I'm not sure what information you are asking me to provide; please clarify what is needed.
Here is a copy of the IFW.log created today.
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] Image for Windows 2.72 (GUI)
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] Starting ...
imagew.exe /b /d:w0 /f:"S:\My Backups\Baseline C D E plus MBR Backup-w0-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] PHYLock is waiting for drive writing to stop ...
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:00 pm] PHYLock Failed to Start
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 68
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Stop
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 am
by engineerguy3809
As another follow-up, my IFW Version is 2.72 and my PHYLock Version is 2.0.8.1
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 am
by engineerguy3809
I figured out a solution on my own.
Apparently, the version of PHYLock I had installed (2.0.8.1) did not like working with IFW Version 2.72.
I updated IFW several weeks ago to IFW Ver 2.72, and apparently I did not update PHYLock at that time.
I do not recall, but apparently I have not attempted to make an image until now (when the problem surfaced).
Solution:
I downloaded and installed the latest PHYLock version and the issue with IFW has gone away.
As I type this on my laptop, IFW is running fine and is creating an image of my desktop computer.
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:18 am
by TeraByte Support
Since it's before it's even starting, you'd need to add /logl:50 to the
command line when starting, then it would output additional information.
However, I'd start by just reinstalling it in case something altered it or
got in the way.
Looks like you reinstalled using the latest version (shouldn't make a
difference) and it's working.
"engineerguy3809" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
I'm not sure what information you are asking me to provide; please clarify
what is needed.
Here is a copy of the IFW.log created today.
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] Image for Windows 2.72 (GUI)
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] Starting ...
imagew.exe /b /d:w0 /f:"S:\My Backups\Baseline C D E plus MBR
Backup-w0-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD$-$~HHMM$" /v
[ 7/24/2012 5:40:50 pm] PHYLock is waiting for drive writing to stop ...
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:00 pm] PHYLock Failed to Start
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Deleting incomplete or failed backup.
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Operation Completed with Error Code 68
[ 7/24/2012 5:41:02 pm] Stop
Re: IFW Error Assistance
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:43 pm
by engineerguy3809
Will do, thanks for the reply.