You can try booting last known good configuration. Otherwise disable
automatic reboot so you can see what the BSOD is.
"GordonM" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Thanks again, TBS. I think you are right, it is firmware RAID.
However, I have now hit a much more serious problem. I decided to install
IFW on this machine ... I had it installed before I changed the system disk
configuration to RAID-1. After IFW installation a re-boot was requested and
this I did. However, I can no longer boot into WinXP. When looking at the
BIOS, the two RAID drives are just not there any more. If I re-set the
CMOS, the drives re-appear and then I also have to enable RAID again as the
CMOS re-set disabled it. On re-booting again, the drives have again
disappeard from the BIOS. If I don't look at the BIOS but let the machine
boot, the process gets as far as asking whether I want to boot into
Safe-Mode, last Windows settings that worked, start Windows normally etc.
Whatever I select, the boot process seems to continue but never gets to the
Windows Welcome screen, the machine just re-boots from the start again.
Any thoughts on this? At the moment, I can't see where to go other than to
re-install Windows from scratch. I have checked the CMOS battery, by the
way, and that is showing just over 3 volts.
Thank you
Gordon
P.S. A further thought on this. I can't remember now whether, when the RAID
array is set up, the individual disks showed up on the first (Phoenix BIOS)
BIOS screen. I have a feeling that they don't. The RAID array is indicated
as healthy so, maybe, it's just a question of Windows needing to be repaired
(not sure why it would break). Anyway, I have copied the critical mail
server application from one of the RAID drives to another computer and
that's now running fine, with no loss of mail. Fortunately, the mail server
app (Mercury) is portable and it just needs its folder to be copied to work.