Is the Process Priority Setting Counterintuitive?
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:52 am
I just finished a backup with ImageWin 2.71 and since I wasn't doing anything else critical with the computer at the time, I changed the Process Priority setting to "Above Normal" (ostensibly to speed things up a bit). The backup itself seemed to go fine, but when it started doing a byte-for-byte validation it seemed to be going slower than I expected. So I then decided to change the Process Priority to "High", and that didn't seem to help. So just for the heck of it, I set the Priority to "Low" and that did the trick, the validation finished much faster than the estimated time remaining at the time I changed the Priority setting, and continued to decrement pretty rapidly (while under the Above Normal & High settings, the estimated time remaining seemed to be hovering around the same value for quite awhile). Throughout all this, the MiB remaining and transferred numbers continued to change in the right direction, so the program hadn't locked up, it was just working more slowly than I wanted (until I changed the Priority to Low).
This is the first time I've ever bothered to change this setting, so I'm not sure if it's a fluke or not. If not, then aren't the settings the opposite of what most people would expect? If I choose "High", I'm expecting that I'm making ImageWin the most important process (and all my other programs will suffer accordingly), and if I choose "Low", then ImageWin will take a backseat to other programs I consider more important at the time.
Unfortunately the documentation mentions nothing about the meaning of these settings. It just explains how to set them, whether interactively (as I did), or as a command line option. Also, though I've only registered on the forum last year, I've been using Image for Windows (and for DOS) for many years, so I'm very familiar with the program (just not this setting).
So is this a bug or a (weird) design decision?
This is the first time I've ever bothered to change this setting, so I'm not sure if it's a fluke or not. If not, then aren't the settings the opposite of what most people would expect? If I choose "High", I'm expecting that I'm making ImageWin the most important process (and all my other programs will suffer accordingly), and if I choose "Low", then ImageWin will take a backseat to other programs I consider more important at the time.
Unfortunately the documentation mentions nothing about the meaning of these settings. It just explains how to set them, whether interactively (as I did), or as a command line option. Also, though I've only registered on the forum last year, I've been using Image for Windows (and for DOS) for many years, so I'm very familiar with the program (just not this setting).
So is this a bug or a (weird) design decision?