Strategy for offsite IFW backup data replication?
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 am
I am running IFW complete system backup on a Windows 2K3 server twice a day via system scheduler.
The backups land on an SMB share of a dedicated linux-centos backup server with 2Tb storage.
One IFW backup is to a full size data file, approx 80Gb and the other splits into 4Gb chunks.
Seven days of complete system backups are held on the linux system which auto housekeeps via cron.
This setup has been working fine for over a year and the couple of times we had to restore, there were no problems.
Now, insurance requirements dictate we must have a copy of the complete system backup held offsite, in case of disaster.
I have an identical linux-centos backup server at an offsite location and would like to replicate the onsite backup data to it.
I am thinking about using sshfs to sync the data between the two backup servers via DSL.
Obviously, attempting to copy 80+Gb of data via 8Mb/s DSL every day is not practical.
Therefore, I need to re-think the whole strategy to make this work properly.
I realise that some implementation of differential/incremental backup is likely the way to go.
So far, I only have experience of using IFW for a complete system backup.
Bearing in mind there are currently two new complete system backup sets every day;
I am struggling to grasp the concept of how / what to implement to ensure the offsite backup server always contains an (almost) up to date complete system backup which is available to restore if/when necessary.
For example, in case of disaster, we may need to restore the offsite backup to new hardware for replacement on site.
Could somebody please provide some guidance on how this solution may be achieved?
Many thanks in advance.
The backups land on an SMB share of a dedicated linux-centos backup server with 2Tb storage.
One IFW backup is to a full size data file, approx 80Gb and the other splits into 4Gb chunks.
Seven days of complete system backups are held on the linux system which auto housekeeps via cron.
This setup has been working fine for over a year and the couple of times we had to restore, there were no problems.
Now, insurance requirements dictate we must have a copy of the complete system backup held offsite, in case of disaster.
I have an identical linux-centos backup server at an offsite location and would like to replicate the onsite backup data to it.
I am thinking about using sshfs to sync the data between the two backup servers via DSL.
Obviously, attempting to copy 80+Gb of data via 8Mb/s DSL every day is not practical.
Therefore, I need to re-think the whole strategy to make this work properly.
I realise that some implementation of differential/incremental backup is likely the way to go.
So far, I only have experience of using IFW for a complete system backup.
Bearing in mind there are currently two new complete system backup sets every day;
I am struggling to grasp the concept of how / what to implement to ensure the offsite backup server always contains an (almost) up to date complete system backup which is available to restore if/when necessary.
For example, in case of disaster, we may need to restore the offsite backup to new hardware for replacement on site.
Could somebody please provide some guidance on how this solution may be achieved?
Many thanks in advance.