Drive partition table corruption ...
Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:33 am
Greetings all - not sure exactly what happened, but I thought I would see if it made sense to others. I have XP Pro, SP3 on my main drive (along with Bootit BM and a data partition). I also have a number of other SATA drives connected as additional storage (Asus P6X58D Premium MB). Have not had any issues. A couple of days ago, I wanted to see what the disk speeds looked like, so I installed HD Tune 2.55 based on comments out there. It seemed to work fine for all drives (6 SATA drives total) EXCEPT for the one with the E,F and G partitions on it (1 TB drive). For some reason it showed the drive characteristics just fine, but it would not show which partition letters were assigned to those partitions (all other drives were fine). No drives use extra primary partitions (all are 4 or less primary partitions - created with BING in the past mostly). When I rebooted the system, the one drive that had E,F and G on it had vanished. Bootit BM could see it, but the partition table looked funny (I forget exactly what I was seeing). After playing with it a bit, I noticed that the "limit primaries" box was unchecked (but I had never created any extra partitions etc on that drive) so I checked it. Hey presto, E and F came back and were fine, but G was gone. I tried (in Bootit BM) to recover the partition using that option. Prior to this, that drive had been working perfectly for many months (although I did slide partitions around/resize them with Bing several months ago). Finally ended up re-creating the partition "G" (400GB) and reloading from a backup I had. Does this sound like anything anybody has seen before ? Does HD Tune have issues anybody is aware of ? Whatever it was caused the entire drive to simply vanish while I was at the Windows XP level - not playing with the partitions etc at all.
All very odd - any comments from anyone this sounds familiar to would be appreciated.
mikey
All very odd - any comments from anyone this sounds familiar to would be appreciated.
mikey