depends on the option on the controller. some can setup mirroring without
loss, otherwise don't and want to start fresh. So you'd want to have image
backups to ensure you can restore in case of a problem or if you need to
after setting up the mirror. Then the problem you'll have is XP won't boot
unless you have installed the storage driver. You can try doing that before
setting up the RAID if it lets you otherwise you can use TBOSDT OSDTOOL.TBS
script to install the promise driver (you need the individual .cat, .inf,
..sys files, not the installer package).
Once you setup the mirror, it will look like one normal drive to BING.
"GordonM" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Regardng the RAID level I wish to use, my aim is to obtain increased
integrity for which I would like to use mirrored drives. RAID 0 won't do
this. The rather old motherboard doesn't support RAID 5. My application is
a personal server machine (Mail-server, web-server, VPN server).
The motherboard contains a Promise RAID controller (so this is a hardware
implementation) and the machine is running XP.
This is not entirely a BING issue. However, I plan to take a BING image of
the current system disk (which is the target of the RAID insallation) onto a
third disk, which is not part of the RAID array. I am uncertain about a
couple of things. If I set up the RAID array (selecting the drives in the
BIOS installing the RAiD drivers by re-installing XP using the F6 option),
will the second drive be automatically synchonized from the existng system
disk (including the BING partition) ? Can I assume that, once RAID is set
up, BING should continue to operate as normal, or should I expect to have to
re-install it (maybe having uninstalled it before setting up RAID ... I
don't thing that this is necessary, but I am not sure). I am presuming that
the BING image, taken before RAID installation, is only there as an
emergency back-up to retore things back to the original non-RAID state. I
want to avoid having to start with two empty drives, if at all possible.
Are there any issues that I am neglecting here?
Thank you
GordonM