Page 1 of 1
[Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2026 9:35 am
by Twincam
I have discovered that v8031 of "winre.wim" is the only version of winre that I can make
working TBWinRE builds from. The current version [v9444 as I type this] appears to build normally. However, when TBWinRE is booted, the IFW executable [v4.12] "closes" ["crashes"?] when I attempt to enter ["select"] a target directory on either a mapped network drive or an attached [via USB-C] local drive.
Rebuilding is simple and rapid [
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... ent-winre/] but I would be prepared to perform further testing if I can assist. However, someone would have to direct me with
specific instructions [as I'm not that bright

].
In order to obtain a "clean" copy of the v9444 winre [for testing], I performed an online "Repair Install". IFW did exactly the same as I described above once I had rebuilt TBWinRE. Also, that image was substantially larger than a "clean" v8031 winre. The latter is what I get via the Microsoft "Windows 11" download page [using an "International English" ISO]. That dates to November 2025 but it still works when using IFW from TBWinRE built using it. I just don't know whether the size difference is accounted for because [hidden and automatic] machine-specific customisations are applied during the "Repair" [but I suspect "not"].
Hopefully this might help someone ....
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 7:41 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
The issue with 9444 has been replicated and is being looked into. A work-around you can try is to use the "Windows/Network Browse" button to browse for the image file (the button is located above the IFW browse area). Alternatively, you can try closing the "Windows/Network Browse" dialog after opening it and then continue browsing in the IFW browse area.
Otherwise, you would need to select an older source WIM version for the TBWinRE build. This can be done in TBWinPE/RE Builder's settings, "Program Paths" tab, "WinRE Source" section. Enable the "Use selected WinRE WIM file" option, then click the down-arrow on the Browse... button and select the WinRE_Backup folder item, then select the older WIM version you want to use.
For the WIM source file sizes, I see 793MB for 9444 and 680MB for 8031.
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 9:12 am
by Twincam
Thanks for the rapid response. I should add that, on my 4 Win11 machines, the previous version of winre had worked - on 3 of them. They must have survived the various "Windows Update" runs beforehand. However, I can't now determine which winre version that was.
It's a bit annoying that Microsoft do not provide a list of all previous winre versions that can be downloaded
without downloading an entire ~8GB ISO. Obviously the excellent TeraByte tools make winre extraction trivial but it remains a "pain". I now keep a clean copy of 8031 on all 4 machines [in "C:\Winre-25H2-8031"] so it's immediately available - if necessary. However, I still have to occasionally download a fresh ISO simply to check that the winre is still "the latest". It would also be handy if they provided an obvious place to download the [PowerShell?] script that auto-updates the existing winre too. They
might do, but I can't find it!
I don't know how long some of the options in the "TBWinRE/TBWinPE Builder" that are available via the "File" menu have existed but, compared with the rest of the otherwise excellent documentation, they do not appear as well-documented. They do, however, appear to work very well. On one machine [the prior "Patch Tuesday"?], using the "
Uninstall TBWinRE from WinRE" option, followed by a standard rebuild, allowed me to use the
then current TBWinRE.
I am glad to learn that you were able to replicate the issue. I thought I was going mad! Thanks again.
For the record, "my" file sizes were: 649MB [8031] & 1.13GB [9444].
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 12:18 pm
by Twincam
My opening sentence should, more correctly, have read: "I have discovered that v8031 of "winre.wim" is the only version of winre that I still have access to that I can make working TBWinRE builds from."
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 4:33 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
The File menu options are documented in the tutorial (
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto ... _tutorial/) at the end in the appendices.
That file size for the 9444 WIM does seem excessive. I've seen some up around that size, though (not "clean" ones). It may just be bloated or it may be corrupted.
Microsoft updates the Windows 11 WinRE quite frequently and it's not uncommon for things to be broken, unfortunately. Definitely worth keeping track of versions that work correctly for your needs. Note that the specific backup versions you have on the system depends on how frequently you create builds or at least run TBWinPE/RE Builder through the requirements check step of a build so it can update the WIM if it's newer and back up the older one.
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2026 7:29 pm
by Twincam
If only I'd followed the hyperlink on page 10 of the "
Image for Windows User Manual" ["
QuickStart: Creating a Recovery Boot Disc" section]. My apologies - I was even in the wrong manual! Plenty for me to read there ....
It is possible that my 9444 is the size
after I had used the "Uninstall TBWinRE from WinRE" option following the apparent failure that you have successfully replicated. To confirm, and if I get time, I will repeat the Online "Repair Install" procedure on a different Laptop. I will save the resulting "clean" 9444 for possible future use and to allow me to evaluate the work-round you mentioned above.
Thanks.
Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 1:04 pm
by Twincam
I can confirm that the work-around you mentioned works fine [as the problem was still present]. The latest OOB WU
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/ser ... ity-update [last night] updated the TBWinRE on my machines. On one, I used the "Uninstall TBWinRE from WinRE" option, then "reagentc /disable" to make it possible for me to keep an
almost "clean" copy [WU must have updated the in-place 8031], "reagentc /enable" and a quick rebuild.
Intriguingly, the retained "clean" 9444 is 763MB.
I may use the retained copy to discover whether there are "machine-dependent" elements in it.

Re: [Info] TBWinRE on Windows 11
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:54 am
by Twincam
Tested new IFW release [v4.13] using a 9444-based TBWinRE. The problem is solved!
Also, I forgot to mention, that I have installed PartWork [for the first time]. This was prompted by a message during my first rebuild attempt. That is new [and, I guess, because the relevant "plug-in" is preselected in "IFW-Create Recovery Boot Disk"] - at least, it's the first time I've seen it.