Backup Android on SD card
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:20 pm
I tried to backup an installation of Android 2.3 that I have on a Sandisk micro SD card. I'm using a recent version of Image of Linux GUI, booting from a CD.
I didn't have any great expectations of success, so I didn't write down all of the parameters that I used to make my backup. I basically checked the first box when I got to the source drive, the mounted SD card, which in turn checked the four partitions on my source drive.
The source drive was a 4GB Sandisk micro SD card, class 4. The target drive was an 8GB drive of the same specifications.
I got an error message during the copy process that indicated that I should do a file check after the backup was complete.
When the backup finished, I put the 8GB target SD card in my Android tablet, and it booted from the new "hard disk" without any problems. But when I tried to access a data directory, I got a message indicating that the files did not exist.
I then mounted each of the two micro SD cards in turn using the help of a Linux Live CD on my desktop, and below is a summary of the partition table of each.
Source 4GB SD card.
/dev/sdb1 fat32 117.63 MIB flags--boot.lba
/dev/sdb2 ext4 462.81 MIB
/dev/sdb3 ext4 964.84 MIB
/dev/sdb4 fat32 2.18 GIB flags--lba
Target 8GB SD card
/dev/sdb1 fat32 235.72 MIB flags--boot
/dev/sdb2 ext4 927.86 MIB
/dev/sdb3 ext4 964.84 MIB
unallocated remainder of 8GB
I apologize for not taking notes of my backup parameters. I can easily go back and write down all of my choices and the specific error messages--the whole backup and restore process took less than 10 minutes.
But given the above information, and the fact that the boot partition and application files all seem to function on the target SD card, do you have any suggestions on what settings I might use on another backup attempt to get a more successful backup. Might I have more success using an identical 4GB SD card for my target drive.
Thanks so much.
I didn't have any great expectations of success, so I didn't write down all of the parameters that I used to make my backup. I basically checked the first box when I got to the source drive, the mounted SD card, which in turn checked the four partitions on my source drive.
The source drive was a 4GB Sandisk micro SD card, class 4. The target drive was an 8GB drive of the same specifications.
I got an error message during the copy process that indicated that I should do a file check after the backup was complete.
When the backup finished, I put the 8GB target SD card in my Android tablet, and it booted from the new "hard disk" without any problems. But when I tried to access a data directory, I got a message indicating that the files did not exist.
I then mounted each of the two micro SD cards in turn using the help of a Linux Live CD on my desktop, and below is a summary of the partition table of each.
Source 4GB SD card.
/dev/sdb1 fat32 117.63 MIB flags--boot.lba
/dev/sdb2 ext4 462.81 MIB
/dev/sdb3 ext4 964.84 MIB
/dev/sdb4 fat32 2.18 GIB flags--lba
Target 8GB SD card
/dev/sdb1 fat32 235.72 MIB flags--boot
/dev/sdb2 ext4 927.86 MIB
/dev/sdb3 ext4 964.84 MIB
unallocated remainder of 8GB
I apologize for not taking notes of my backup parameters. I can easily go back and write down all of my choices and the specific error messages--the whole backup and restore process took less than 10 minutes.
But given the above information, and the fact that the boot partition and application files all seem to function on the target SD card, do you have any suggestions on what settings I might use on another backup attempt to get a more successful backup. Might I have more success using an identical 4GB SD card for my target drive.
Thanks so much.