Page 1 of 1

"Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:02 pm
by Scott
Was running IFW v4.05 (IIRC), started seeing the "Unable to obtain a lock on C:" error. I had backed up Windows 11 many times with this exact config, so I'm guessing Windows changed/broke something, since I did update from 24H2 to 25H2 a while back.

Updated to IFW v4.12. Same error.

I don't have PHYLock installed and have always used VSS without issue, until very recently. In ifw.ini, I'm using:

Code: Select all

[PHYLock_Options]
PHYLockDisable=1
UseFilesToNotBackup=0
UseFilesToNotSnapshot=0
UseVSS=1
VSSComponentMode=0

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:10 pm
by Scott
Love it when I rapidly solve my own problem. I think my IQ shoots up after asking quetsions.

I had disabled the wonderful Workstation service. Windows didn't like that. Enabled and ran it, problem solved.

Sorry.

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:19 pm
by OldNavyGuy
The Workstation service runs automatically (default) on our systems.

It's needed if you connect to shared resources on other computers, or network drives.

We use PHYLock, and have never had a problem with that service.

Re: "Unable to obtain a lock on C:"

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 6:39 pm
by Scott
Yeah, I had recently disabled it, having had no idea that it was required for VSS. Pretty annoying.