Page 1 of 1
Point-in-time restore
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2026 9:16 pm
by Fracso
Do IFW or IFL include PITR points in a backup image?
Or it is necessary to delete them before creating he image, to reduce its size?
Re: Point-in-time restore
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:12 am
by OldNavyGuy
Restore points are saved in the System Volume Information folder, which is backed up.
You would only need to delete restore points if you were cramped for space on the backup medium.
Otherwise, you can set the allocated space for restore points in System settings, and once that allocated space is full, Windows will delete the oldest restore point to make room.
Re: Point-in-time restore
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:23 am
by TeraByte Support
it depends if you use vss and if they are in the files to not backup or file to not snapshot.
Re: Point-in-time restore
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:05 pm
by Fracso
Short answer: PITR points are not included in the image.
According to a test I did. I created an image with PITR points (3.7 GB), deleted the points, created another image, compared the sizes.They were practically the same (40 KB difference).
In both cases, I imaged online with VSS.
I deleted the points with the command (PS as Administrator):
vssadmin delete shadows /all
Re: Point-in-time restore
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 4:29 pm
by Bob Coleman
Close to veering off the subject here, but since I backup my Windows partition with IFL daily I don't create restore points.
Re: Point-in-time restore
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 4:53 pm
by OldNavyGuy
Fracso wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2026 2:05 pm
Short answer: PITR points are not included in the image.
In both cases, I imaged online with VSS.
They are included if PHYLock is used.