Page 1 of 2

New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
by ohaya1000
Hi,

I have been using only the imaging in BIU to do my disk imaging, and in general, I have been doing only "Entire Disk" images, but I decided to try toi transition to using IFW for my imaging and just BIU just for partition management and boot management, so I just bought a new license for the "full bundle".

I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?

Also, FYI, when I've been imaging I usually have done "just" validate and not byte-for-byte, and that was mainly because I think byte-for-byte validation takes a lot longer and I am wondering is that still the case now since I am now using IFW for the imaging?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:46 pm
by ohaya1000
Wow! Just finished first entire disk image backup and it was much faster, compared to using the image that is in BIU! (~40+ minutes vs. ~90 minutes).

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:10 pm
by ohaya1000
Hi,

It looks like when the IFW was installed, it created a directory on the F: drive in Windows, /TeraByte_TBI_Backups, but I can't seem to remove that directory.

Does anyone know how to remove that directory?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:16 pm
by Bob Coleman
ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
Yes.

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:18 pm
by Bob Coleman
ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
Also, FYI, when I've been imaging I usually have done "just" validate and not byte-for-byte, and that was mainly because I think byte-for-byte validation takes a lot longer and I am wondering is that still the case now since I am now using IFW for the imaging?
I think so.

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:20 pm
by Bob Coleman
ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:46 pm Wow! Just finished first entire disk image backup and it was much faster, compared to using the image that is in BIU! (~40+ minutes vs. ~90 minutes).
You might find that IFL will be even faster.

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:29 pm
by Bob Coleman
ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:10 pm
It looks like when the IFW was installed, it created a directory on the F: drive in Windows, /TeraByte_TBI_Backups, but I can't seem to remove that directory.

Does anyone know how to remove that directory?
I think that might be because you included installing ProtectIt during the installation. I think if you re-install without including ProtectIt you may then be able to delete the directory, but I'm not 100% sure about all the details of this.

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:35 pm
by ohaya1000
Bob,

Thanks.... I don't remember seeing anything about Protectit, but that may be what is happening. Right now I cannot even see or access the .TBI file from IFW anymore.

Does TBU still have someone from support monitoring these forums? Will they respond?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. You suggested re-install - but do I need to UN install first, before I RE-install? Or do I JUST do a re-install?

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:16 pm
by ohaya1000
Bob Coleman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 8:16 pm
ohaya1000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2026 7:24 pm
I'm just starting to use the IFW, but I have a question: I think that even after transitioning, I would like to do image restores using the Imaging in BIU.
Will I be able to do that, i.e., if I make do an image of the entire drive where Windows 11 is, using IFW, and later have to restore the entire disk, can I just use BIU/imaging in BIU to restore the entire disk?
Yes.
Hi Bob (et al),

I just found the IFW manual on the TBU website, and I was looking at what it had about restoring, and it didn't seem like it mentioned using BIU to restore an image, so I just wanted to confirm whether that (using BIU and the Image for UEFI that is with BIU to restore a .biu file made by IFW) actually is a supported option? Have you actually been able to boot into BIU, then do an "entire disk" restore from a .BIU file that you had made via IFW?

I am not meaning to doubt, but I wanted to know for sure, if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: New to IFW (transitioning from BIU Imaging) questions

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 9:36 pm
by Brian K
Jim. you can use IFW, IFL or BIU to restore your images. Definitely.

You can create your images in that protected folder or in any other folder of your choice.