Page 1 of 1

Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 4:31 am
by macksix
I tried to restore an image with Image for Windows and it said it could lock the drive and gave me option to use WinRE and it rebooted and I restored it that way, but then it wouldn't boot. I was booting into Dell SupportAssist and running a memory check, then it would still not boot. I wiped out everything on the drive and restored with Image for Linux and now it is booting into Dell SupportAssist with a message "Boot failure on Device".

It's an Alienware R10 with Windows 11.

It was working fine before I did an image restore.

I am stumped.

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 4:51 am
by TeraByte Support
You should do entire drive backup/entire drive restore, if you only do certain partitions you have to know what is what.

Is this booting in (E)MBR / legacy mode or has a GPT and booting with UEFI. In any case, consider installing standard mbr, ensuring the correct partition is set active, and the bcd is pointing to the correct drive (see https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... bootit-bm/).

Entire drive restore would revert to using GPT/(E)BMR but when you manually do things, you'd have to ensure you have the correct type (GPT for UEFI which boots the EFI system partition or a UEFI boot item, (E)MBR for legacy boot, which boots the active partition).

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 8:26 am
by macksix
I did an entire drive backup in January 2025 and am trying to do an entire restore. I restore all the partitions.

I have done an entire drive restore before with different full image backups and it worked. I have used Image for Linux before with entire drive image backups and it worked.

I even tried old image backups I have used before with the same result.

The rest of what your are saying about (e)mbr, gpt, uefi, is not clear to me, although the bios says UEFI and that is the only option. I have used Image for UEFI with this computer before and it worked and now when I use it, when I click to restore an image on the main screen (or try to verify an imagr), it just locks up.

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 8:40 am
by macksix
I created a Windows Boot Media with Image for Windows on another Windows 11 computer (Alienware R11). I made a WinRE, and it won't boot on this R10 I am having trouble with.

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2026 3:40 am
by TeraByte Support
you should probably validate it byte for byte on restore, presuming you validated byte-for-byte on backup. Tick the box next to the drive itself (not just the partitions) and it will restore as GPT or (E)MBR. It will also show you in the UI what is what. If it's booting the wrong item, go in to the firmware and set it to boot the Windows Boot Manager item (which will be pointing inside the EFI Sytem partition).

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2026 4:47 am
by macksix
I can't exactly describe what I did, but I made a Image for UEFI USB stick using v4.10 one that had 2 partitions and an Arch Linux distribution on it. Is made the Image for UEFI on onr partition. I pluged it in and the computer would boot up with a big red secure boot warning on it with a continue button. I continued and I don't know the exact steps from there, but at one point it booted with the menu to boot Arch Linux. I booted Arch Linux and then shut down, removed the USB stick and started up again and Windows booted.

I tested, by restoring back to an older image with IFL v4.11 again and it restored and booted fine.

It seems to me it was some sort of bios confusion.

Re: Boot failure on Device after restore

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2026 7:25 am
by macksix
It looks like the Alienware R10 bios v2.10.0 is garbage and most likely caused the problem. When messing around with it, I put secure boot in Audit Mode and I could not put it back in Deployment Mode. I flashed the bios back to v2.9.1 and I could change it to Deployment Mode OK.