Page 1 of 1
Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Tue May 12, 2026 7:48 pm
by plain
Occasionally when booting up Windows 11 through BIU I experience what appears to be Windows having determined there is something wrong with my disk that needs to be fixed. Not that big a deal except for the fact that you only get about 9 seconds to recognize the message, make a determination, and "press any key" to bypass disk checking.
Since I don't know under what circumstances Windows has become worried about disk checking I have to watch like a hawk until the machine has either given me a warning or does not offer disk checking.
Is there any hazard to my dual boot setup (including mandatory reinstall of BIU) or can I ignore my PC when it boots up and not worry about disk checking? Yes, I could FAFO but I'm not really that interested in doing that if someone here already knows what typically happens when you allow disk checking to continue.
Re: Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Tue May 12, 2026 8:05 pm
by TeraByte Support
Re: Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Wed May 13, 2026 10:32 am
by plain
Thanks for replying so quickly.
I have from the first, disabled Fast Start and continue to make sure it stays disabled. Also can't remember which (10 or 11) causes this to happen but I remember being asked by "Karen's Power Tools... Replicator" if I wanted that program to start when the OS started. Don't remember any other programs asking that but there could be. However, these requests to disk check seem so random I can't pin down the source.
I don't update my OS's mainly due to the possibility The Man will slip something by me that will wreak havoc.
The next time it happens I will try to remember what I did to the running OS before rebooting. Both OS's are hidden from each other in BIU and both have "flag" 55 set.
Re: Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Wed May 13, 2026 11:04 am
by plain
I just booted/rebooted Windows 10 several times and about half the time get a message it can't do anything to restart because of "host task window" or similar. In one instance I even had to reactivate BIU. So something in one or both OS's is causing problems. The reactivating thing has been going on randomly too.
Not really that big a problem for me as I am always here to boot the machine but I can see where running a script might not be a good idea (which I don't do anyway).
Maybe people can consider this a cautionary note to be suspicious if you start having this type thing happen.
But back to the original question if Windows does disk check will it mess anything up? I seem to remember the only downside in BIBM when allowing disk checking request to proceed was having to reinstall BIBM, no big deal.
Re: Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Wed May 13, 2026 12:59 pm
by TeraByte Support
you'd probably want to run memtest86+ on the system as well.
Re: Rogue disk checking with Windows 10-11 dual boot
Posted: Wed May 13, 2026 3:05 pm
by plain
Will do. Get back here in a few days.