Page 1 of 1

Image for DOS backing up all sectors

Posted: Sun May 03, 2026 7:57 pm
by bgardner
I have been using Image for DOS for years - mostly on Windows 10 PCs. I have a Windows 11 PC and when I use IFD 4.10, it attempts to backup the entire drive despite there being 84% free space. I have ensured that backup all sectors is not selected but it still attempts to back up all sectors - that takes a long time on a 1 TB drive and is certainly not necessary. Even if I select only the Windows partition I get the same result.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob

Re: Image for DOS backing up all sectors

Posted: Mon May 04, 2026 5:35 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Check if BitLocker is being used. Windows 11 installations often have BitLocker enabled by default.

Re: Image for DOS backing up all sectors

Posted: Mon May 04, 2026 1:08 pm
by bgardner
BitLocker was enabled when I first started the computer but it caused some other issues so I turned it off but, when I highlight that drive in IFD and press the key to get details, it still shows all sectors as being used. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Bob

Re: Image for DOS backing up all sectors

Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 8:27 am
by Brian K
How did you turn BitLocker off?

Try
manage-bde -status C:

What does it report?

Re: Image for DOS backing up all sectors

Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 7:54 pm
by bgardner
So this is what I got for status:

Size: 953.27 GB
BitLocker Version: None
Conversion Status: Fully Decrypted
Percentage Encrypted: 0.0%
Encryption Method: None
Protection Status: Protection Off
Lock Status: Unlocked
Identification Field: None
Key Protectors: None Found

After more research, I found that this is not an unusual occurrence and, as suggested by Google, I ran:

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

That did the trick. It took 5 hours to run but now IFD shows the correct used disk size and runs fine.

Thanks for the help.

Bob