Unable to remove BootItBM; Unable to install BIU
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2026 2:40 am
I have an older computer that supports UEFI. I had BootItBM installed and booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint in legacy BIOS mode.
I want to install a newer version of LInux Mint but it requires UEFI and will not install its loader without an EFI partition.
I removed all partitions from the drive and created a GPT partition table, then created a 100MB EFI (fat32) partition.
I attempted to install BootItUEFI from a USB stick booting in UEFI mode but the installation fails with the message:
I attempted to install BootItBM from another USB stick booting in legacy mode but its installation fails with the messages:
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to install BIU if possible.
I want to install a newer version of LInux Mint but it requires UEFI and will not install its loader without an EFI partition.
I removed all partitions from the drive and created a GPT partition table, then created a 100MB EFI (fat32) partition.
I attempted to install BootItUEFI from a USB stick booting in UEFI mode but the installation fails with the message:
After pressing the Enter key, the messageUnable to open BOOTIT.DAT.
appears briefly and the machine restarts.start_image() return Aborted.
I attempted to install BootItBM from another USB stick booting in legacy mode but its installation fails with the messages:
I am stuck. I cannot install any flavor of BootIt and apparently some remnant of BIM remains that I cannot remove.BootIt EMBRI 4.00
BootIt EMBRI 4.00
EMBRM Load: EMBR is missing or is an unsupported version!
System Halted!
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to install BIU if possible.