Page 1 of 1
Scheduled IFW from Linux
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2026 12:15 am
by David Lee Andrew
I recently migrated from Windows (10) to Linux (Mint), retaining Windows in a dual boot setup. IFW is the only facility for which no equivalent exists in Linux (so far as I & Anthropic Claude can tell).
I had an idea which works:
1) set Linux boot manager (better & easier than Windows equivalent) to default to Windows.
2) set Linux cron to schedule a reboot (I use 2:50am)
3) set Windows to schedule a backup at 3:00am
.
This works perfectly. The only downsides are:
1) I must choose Linux from its boot manager window each time I boot
2) I must reboot back from Windows to Linux after each backup (after checking backup worked)
.
Any questions will be welcome.
D
Re: Scheduled IFW from Linux
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2026 2:50 am
by TeraByte Support
Re: Scheduled IFW from Linux
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2026 6:59 am
by David Lee Andrew
I read all that. It's long, complicated, likely to deter most. My simple solution might not work in all distros but certainly does in Linux Mint:
Install Linux alongside Windows (one of the last options in Linux Setup). This requires a disk partition in Linux file system compatible format (Ext4 probably). This option generates a simple dual boot menu giving access to both OS.
1. Edit Linux boot loader: sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Set the following or similar values:
GRUB_DEFAULT=2
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=300
Notes:
- the DEFAULT is the position of Windows on the boot Linux boot menu, numbered 0 (probably Linus), 1 (probably Linus safe mode), 2 (probably Windows). Other options might appear, depending upon your installation.
- menu ensures the menu appears at boot.
- 300 is seconds. This is plenty of time to select Linux when using it interactively.
When finished, sudo update-grub
2. Edit cron to scehdule a reboot: sudo crontab -e
Include lines similar to the following::
# Use Setuid to give myself permission to execute REBOOT as root
# - may require repetition after system update
# sudo chown root /sbin/reboot
# sudo chmod u+s /sbin/reboot
#
# Reminder to save work
45 2 * * * notify-send -w "Rebooting for backup in 5 minutes: $(date +%T -d '+5 minutes')"
#
# Reboot: Windows runs Terabyte Image for Windows at 0300 after boot manager timeout
50 2 * * * reboot
Notes:
- the chown & chmod commands need only be used once. That's why they are commented out here.
- the reminder does not work. I don't need it but you might. I'd like to figure it out
- the only active line here is the last. It means to reboot at 50 minutes past 2am on every day of month, month, & day of week. Choose your own preferred time & frequency.
Google linux edit cron for detailed instructions if required.
3. In Windows, run Terabyte Image For Windows to schedule your backup. You could use Windows Task Scheduler for any other tasks while you are there ('though best not while IFW is running).