Image size for bitlockeree SSD
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2026 9:09 pm
I have been imaging a system SSD using TBWinre and I am puzzled about the size of the resulting image, The drive in question is a nominal 512GB. When the imaging starts, the indication is that something over 900GB are to be processed (this is with byte-for-byte validation). Around 250GB of the SSD is used. The resulting .TBI image file has a size of around 220GB.
My (perhaps mistaken) understanding is that images of bitlockered drives are not compressed, so I was expecting that the filesize of the TBI file would be around the full size of the SSD.
Could someone explain why the image size is smaller than I expected.
I am using Windows 11 Home.
Thank you.
Gordon
My (perhaps mistaken) understanding is that images of bitlockered drives are not compressed, so I was expecting that the filesize of the TBI file would be around the full size of the SSD.
Could someone explain why the image size is smaller than I expected.
I am using Windows 11 Home.
Thank you.
Gordon